We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best beach area and accomadations

Newfoundland, Canada
reviews: 10
Best beach area and accomadations

We are a group of 6 all 40'somethings. Looking for some advice. We are looking to trave this upcoming fall, where would be the best area for a nice beach with preferably a condo rental on or very near the beach. Also when would be the best time to travel in the fall when the weather is still nice and warm but a little less unpredictable, early October maybe? I have been to Orlando several times, but I have never even looked for a beach in my visits to Florida. Any input is appreciated.

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 90
1. Re: Best beach area and accomadations

The beaches are beautiful all over the state, but if you get good airfare rates into Orlando, you could choose the Clearwater or Longboat Key areas (gulf side) or any of the beaches from St Augustine to Cocoa Beach along the Atlantic Coast. Both coasts are easy drives from Orlando.

We have traveled in October for years and the weather is wonderful (however, still hurricane season), plus it's less crowded.

Vero Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Vero Beach
reviews: 40
2. Re: Best beach area and accomadations

Early October has hurricane risk, mainly from storms headed north from the western Caribbean, crossing western Cuba or passing through the Yucatán Channel. Hurricane risk drops during the month, and overall risk is much higher in the Keys and southern portions of the peninsula. This National Hurricane Center site has more facts, maps, and charts than you'd ever need:

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/climo/

You might check a guidebook for beaches, though I don't know of any that cover the condo rental situations. This one is probably most useful for Floridians touring their own state:

http://upf.com/book.asp?id=BURNHF07

Newfoundland, Canada
3. Re: Best beach area and accomadations

I am aware of the possble hurricane risks. How about renting a house or apartment for 6? I ahve always rented a hotel and have heard horror stories about being ripped of in condo rentals. What is the best way to get a rental? Is there a better site to use for condo or house rentals?

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
reviews: 22
4. Re: Best beach area and accomadations

I would rent a house someplace like Anna Maria island.

And I would look at mid/3rd week october. Weather still warm but not so hot, and low prices.

Vero Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Vero Beach
reviews: 40
5. Re: Best beach area and accomadations

Anna Maria and nearby islands are obviously popular, and it might be worth asking at a local forum.

My own community's beaches obviously have some condo rentals, but because so much of the area is very affluent, it seems a thin market. I still haven't figured out who to contact, locally.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Clearwater
reviews: 78
6. Re: Best beach area and accomadations

Clearwater Beach is a lovely option. Clearwater Beach is a compact area with hotels and restaurants in the main area. There are not many short term condo rentals due to municipal bylaws.

How long are you planning on staying? Two places that allow weekly rentals right on the beach are Villas at Clearwater Beach and Surfside. Colony Surf allows two week rentals. I'm not familiar with these buildings - so can't vouch for them. I do know that Villas and Surfside have three bedroom condos.

Right over the bridge on Sand Key - Lighthouse Towers and Crescent Beach Club allow two week rentals. There are two bedroom condos in these beautiful high rise buildings - and you might find the odd two bed and a den available for rent. We own in Crescent Beach Club and it is beautiful. Sand Key is a semi-private beach - so a lovely place to stay for peace and privacy - but you would need a car to get to restaurants.

The area between Sand Key and St. Pete beach has many condos available for short term vacation rentals right on the beach - due to different bylaws. Check out Belleair Beach, Indian Rocks Beach, Indian Shores, Madeira Beach, St. Pete Beach and Treasure Island.

To find vacation rentals check out VRBO, vacationrentals.com and Trip Advisor Vacation Rentals. Look for units that have reviews and check out Google maps for location. Also post on the forum for those areas if you find a place, and ask for help on what the condo complex is like. Rentals from owners are buyer beware. We have rented through VRBO many times and never gotten scooped - but check out the rental well and talk directly to the owner. You could also go through a vacation rental company - but prices will be higher than they will be directly through the owner.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
7. Re: Best beach area and accomadations

Do be aware the clearwater beach is a large built up urban beach area, not to everyone's taste (but could be to yours).

Newfoundland, Canada
8. Re: Best beach area and accomadations

Thanks for the info. At least I now have a place to start some research.

Kentwood, Michigan
reviews: 8
9. Re: Best beach area and accomadations

Anna Maria accomodations in a search engine. We rent there every year and there are friendly and professional. Im there right now and loving it.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
10. Re: Best beach area and accomadations

Start your research on the anna Maria forum of course?

So a search, and order the replies by date. Look at reviews, then post your questions.