We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What's Happening To Daytona Beach, Florida ?

Which Florida hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chattanooga...
reviews: 137
What's Happening To Daytona Beach, Florida ?

My family and I have enjoyed Daytona Beach for literally decades as our vacation destination. For years we would choose the "Week of the Fourth" as the chosen time for vacation and the huge crowds were explainable given the support and excitement generated by NASCAR. We also chose other times to visit and Daytona was still buzzing with much activity and above average crowds. Daytona Beach generated crowds and interest in the area for the beach alone and its related activities not to mention the bolster that racing adds to it more than twice a year.

In very recent years we have noticed what seems to be a real crash in Daytona's economy. Buildings, from small businesses to the large beach front motels stand empty and abandoned. "Mom and Pop" motels seem to be taking the hardest hit along with many local restaurants. Is this just a result of the overall bad economy or is Daytona winding down as one of the most popular vacation destinations in the USA ?

Edited: 9:29 am, September 07, 2011
UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
reviews: 22
1. Re: What's Happening To Daytona Beach, Florida ?

I think it is an image problem among other things. The more a place slips the less people will go and it is a vicious circle.

Why not discuss this on the Daytona Forum?

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
reviews: 85
2. Re: What's Happening To Daytona Beach, Florida ?

I think its a combination of things. Daytona has tried to be a one size fits all city and for the most part has been able to do so. However if you read some of the other forums in Florida many visitors, especially those with young families are going to the gulf coast rather than the Atlantic side. Other places in Florida are experiencing a similar downturn, in part due to the economy.

Actually, you could say the exact same thing about the keys. Many empty buildings and businesses that were there for years now falling apart. Mom & Pops don't have big money behind them to keep up repairs, etc. The hurricanes of several years ago did their damages, then the housing market crash and the failing economy have done in many a small business.

All we can hope for is things to get better so our tourism returns to normal. We visit Daytona almost every year for the race and do out part to help the economy!

Orlando
reviews: 2
3. Re: What's Happening To Daytona Beach, Florida ?

I have some very fond memories of Daytona in the 80's and early 90's. It was never the most beautiful place, but the boardwalk area and the strip that used to be along the downstairs area of the Hilton were fun. The things that I used to like are gone, but the crime and homeless problem remain. I feel much safer on the Brevard County beaches, and I can drink a beer on the beach without being harassed by the law.

4. Re: What's Happening To Daytona Beach, Florida ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, October 20, 2012