We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need Advice on Planning this Awesome Trip!

In cooperation with: Delaware Tourism Office
Groveport, Ohio
reviews: 1
Need Advice on Planning this Awesome Trip!

So I'm planning a trip to visit each and every state in America. But I want to do it up right. So I've set up a list of things I want to hit and will personalize it for each state. I have separate categories that include: I must see:

A Fun Road to Travel On

One Historical Thing About the State

One Local Thing (like a town that's not touristy, but a good representative of the state)

One Fun Dining Thing

One Outdoor Thing (Could be a park or some type of natural place to visit) (even outdoor adventures)

One Adventure Thing (could include anything but I love animals so I like the wildlife stuff!)

One Miscellaneous Thing

I'll be traveling alone and renting a car to drive to each state. I'm thinking I'll be staying in each state for a range of two to four days and I'm budgeting now for the trip so hopefully I'll have enough to do some fun things regardless of the cost (as long as it's not crazy lol). I'm totally open to what season I will visit.

So does anyone have any suggestions for Delaware??

5 replies to this topic
Groveport, Ohio
reviews: 1
1. Re: Need Advice on Planning this Awesome Trip!

I actually have been working on this trip (actually a series of small trips) for the past ten years. Ever since I was a little kid I have dreamed of seeing all fifty states. I work three jobs and I have a varying budget for each state but I don't want that to stop me from at least seeing a piece of each state! I have received state tourism magazines and guides from all fifty states and I have read through them multiple times--marking my favorites. I have a huge list of options for each state saved in a document and am trying to get some other opinions for each one. So I think I'm going to personalize each post for each state forum so I can get the best possible suggestions. I've already visited seven of the states on my list already and I have plans for the 8th this summer. This is more about a short trip to each state trying to get a sense of it without using too much vacation time on one place or state. In the other seven trips I've taken, it has been a whirlwind of activity, but I loved going around to the different state attractions and just driving through the state and taking in the scenery. I'm not really thinking of it as a vacation to relax, but as a jam packed adventure with a timeline!

That being said, I completely understand that it can be annoying when someone appears to be lazy or simply unrealistic and then expect others to give good advice and it actually is for nothing! I was a bit hasty in my cut and paste (cutting corners!) So I might try to re-post including some of my initial ideas and then ask for some additional ones. Personalizing it a bit to get the best applicable results and taking a little more time. Because yes, it has been years of research and a lot of dreaming! And you might be seeing another amended post in the near future!

Delaware
reviews: 23
2. Re: Need Advice on Planning this Awesome Trip!

A trip to the Lewes/Rehoboth Beach area for a few weekdays during the summer would fill most of your goals. Notice I am recommending weekdays.

Wilmington, Delaware
3. Re: Need Advice on Planning this Awesome Trip!
Delaware Tourism Office What's this?

What an awesome trip your planning!! We can help you in Delaware. Please use the Tourism website for valuable information visitdelaware.com

Here are a few suggestions:

A Fun Road to Travel On : Rt 9 the Delaware Bayshore Scenic Byway will take you though farmland and fishing towns. You can stop in Liepsic at Sambos and have steamed crabs.

One Historical Thing About the State: The State Capital and Legislative Mall, First State Hertiage Park. Delaware was the first state to ratify the constitution.

visitdelaware.com/listings/…

One Local Thing (like a town that's not touristy, but a good representative of the state) Newark, DE

One Fun Dining Thing= Picking crabs at Sambos- The staff will instruct you if needed.

One Outdoor Thing (Could be a park or some type of natural place to visit) (even outdoor adventures)

Either Canoeing at Trap Pond State Park in Laurel among the Bald Cypress Trees or walking the trails at Cape Henelopen State Park In Lewes.

One Adventure Thing (could include anything but I love animals so I like the wildlife stuff!)

Go Ape Zip Line at Lums Pond State park in Bear, DE or Bombay Hook Wildlife Area in Smyrna also off of Rt 9 Bayshore Byway.

One Miscellaneous Thing

Tour Dogfish Brewery in Milton, De or visit the Downton Abbey costume exhibit at Winterthur in Northern New Castle County.

Content provided by Delaware Tourism Office: visitdelaware.com
Philadelphia/Atlanti...
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
reviews: 37
4. Re: Need Advice on Planning this Awesome Trip!

There is frisbee golf in several DE state parks www.destateparks.com/activities/disc-golf/ And DE does charge more for out of state entries... wait, is it the tags on the car or the license of the driver? Drat, I cannot remember.. If you get to Southern DE, I suggest riding the Cape May/Lewes Ferry http://www.capemaylewesferry.com/ It just may be the best way to enter NJ. Whether school is in or out of session, be sure to be pedestrian wary in Newark. I saw someone nearly get hit by an inattentive driver in late May

Philadelphia/Atlanti...
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
reviews: 37
5. Re: Need Advice on Planning this Awesome Trip!

Brandywine State Park has these walls that are made of stone. If I remember the signage correctly, there is zero mortar to hold them together. https:/… Their origin is somewhat murky. And this park's frisbee golf course is much fun as it includes hills. And, I'm going to guess there is geocaches in this park too

Reply to: Need Advice on Planning this Awesome Trip!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted