We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wanted: Cute village for overnight stay between Boston & NYC

In cooperation with: Connecticut Office of Tourism
Which Connecticut hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
reviews: 1
Wanted: Cute village for overnight stay between Boston & NYC

Hi,

We're hiring a car and driving up from New York on Boxing Day to Boston. Planning to drive along the shoreline for the coastal towns, then after we stay at Boston we want to see a bit more inland.

Could anyone kindly recommend a village to spend a night, along a route back to NY? Hartford seems to be all over tripadvisor but it's too big for what we're after.

We love teeny tiny places with lots of character, lovely b&b's and pretty scenery - basically the opposite to NYC and London (where we're from)!

Thanks and happy hols to all!

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
reviews: 14
1. Re: Wanted: Cute village for overnight stay between Boston & NYC

For a more interesting and scenic drive, I'd suggest driving out to the end of Long Island (Orient Point on the north fork) and taking the ferry over to New London, CT.

The Long Island north fork drive is scenic, with farms and wineries and quaint little villages. The ferry ride is comfortable and fun. You could opt to go to Mystic, CT but my advise would be to go to Newport, RI if you don't mind a bit of a detour.

You could also stay out on Long Island for the night, then just take the ferry and drive to Boston. It's less than a 2 hour drive to Boston from where the ferry docks in New London.

Stepping back a bit, are you really sure you want to drive from NYC to Boston? You don't need or want a car in Boston. There is excellent rail service (Amtrak) and the trip is relaxing with a bit of scenery along the way.

East Haddam...
reviews: 68
2. Re: Wanted: Cute village for overnight stay between Boston & NYC

I would suggest going out of Boston is to go Route 2 across Massachusetts. It will be a long but nice drive, when you hit Williamstown go south on Route 7. From there when you hit 84, you can take the highway back into the city, but I think Route 7 is one of the top roads in the Northeast for quaint towns and nice views.

For a town to stop in there is a choice between Williamstown, Lenox, Great Barrington

London, United...
reviews: 1
3. Re: Wanted: Cute village for overnight stay between Boston & NYC

theWinterMe - just googled those villages and they are exactly what I had in mind, thank you!

Thanks Christnp2 - my boyfriend LOVES this idea! I really wanted to see Long Island too, but thought there was no way to fit it in.

We're hiring a car because he loves road trips (he once drove from Whistler to NY via the west coast and had the time of his life). We didn't realise you could get to Boston this way, so a huge thanks to you.

Connecticut
reviews: 73
4. Re: Wanted: Cute village for overnight stay between Boston & NYC

I love the Mohawk trail (Route 2 across Mass) as mentioned. Stop at Williamstown, MA and see the Clark Museum. It has a large selection of Renior Paintings and other Impressionist paintings and it definitely worth seeing if you like art. Williamstown is a quaint little village too.

Pittsburgh...
reviews: 5
5. Re: Wanted: Cute village for overnight stay between Boston & NYC

Check out Mystic, CT, lovely B & B's on the river in downtown Mystic.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
reviews: 39
6. Re: Wanted: Cute village for overnight stay between Boston & NYC

other towns to consider Northhampton, Amherst, Deerfield. Not too great a detour between Boston and NYC so you actually may have some time there.

Take a look at driving times before deciding on far Western MA. I can't tell if you are just looking for one night or more. although not quaint in the small village way, Newport during the holidays is amazing.

Boston
reviews: 2
7. Re: Wanted: Cute village for overnight stay between Boston & NYC

I like Mystic / Stonington, CT, or Watch Hill / Westerly, RI a lot, and both are just off I-95, about 2.5 hours from NYC and 1.5 hours from Boston. The Inn at Stonington is lovely. and in Watch Hill, the Ocean House is about as glamorous as can be.

Stonington

ctmonuments.net/wp-content/…P1250169.jpg

Ocean House

https://scontent-b-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-…

Edited: 1:12 pm, December 10, 2013
8. Re: Wanted: Cute village for overnight stay between Boston & NYC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, December 12, 2014