We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oz family road trip Anaheim to Denver late September advice

Which Colorado hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Adelaide, Australia
reviews: 40
Oz family road trip Anaheim to Denver late September advice

Hi again all, after much research and lot of help from you all on the forum I have come up with a plan. Can you please let me know what you think. I am trying to balance what we see without having hours and hours in the car each day, We have children aged 15 and 12. Thank you again for any advice, help anyone can offer. Any advise on good places to stay would be great if you know any but I will research this further once I have the drive set.

Friday 26/9 Anaheim to Las Vegas

Sat 27/9 Las Vegas to Page via Zion(have been to Zion before)

Sun 28/9 Page

Mon 29/9 Page to Mesa Verde (via Monument Valley drive)

Tues 30/9 Mesa Verde

Wed 1/10 Mesa Verde to Durango

Thu 2/10 Scenic drive to Silverton and back to Durango

Fri 3/10 Durango to Moab

Sat 4/10 Moab

Sun 5/10 Moab

Mon 6/10 Moab to Denver ready to fly out first thing in the morning on the 7/10 to Mexico

Thanks for taking the time to have a look and help us.

Breckenridge...
Destination Expert
for Breckenridge
reviews: 22
1. Re: Oz family road trip Anaheim to Denver late September advice

The one item I would change was Oct. 2nd- Durango to Silverton and back.

I wouldn't double back. I would keep driving up and stay in the beautiful mtn. town of Ouray. From Ouray you can take the scenic route out to Moab.

Driving time is about the same but in the above scenario you would not have to retrace your steps, plus you would get to stay in a different place other than Durango.

Also, Page for a full day...eh. Might keep track of the Aspen changing in the Colorado mountains and add this day on your trip back to Denver. If Aspen are changing still changing in early Oct (a decent possibility) Moab to Aspen. Aspen to Denver via Independence Pass to Leadville back over to the I-70.

Matt

Matt

Worldwide
reviews: 618
2. Re: Oz family road trip Anaheim to Denver late September advice

Also to note:

1. You're passing mighty close to Bryce Canyon and the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. If you haven't seen those, both may be worth considering. If you've seen the South Rim of the Grand Canyon, but not the North Rim, IMHO you have missed *by far* the better of the two rims. Also, I far prefer Bryce Canyon at sunrise to Zion at any time, but YMMV. (Unless you wanted Las Vegas, I would push through from LA to Bryce, overnight inside or just outside Bryce Canyon National Park, and enjoy the park at sunrise.)

2. Driving from Moab to Denver might take you through Glenwood Springs. A stop (or an overnight) and a dip in the huge hot springs pool might be worth considering. IMHO the pool is best in the late afternoon and evening, but everyone's views differ on that issue.

How to make time? Eliminate the Las Vegas stopover and stay in Bryce? I'm not sure how long you would want to be in Mesa Verde. You could spend 3 hours, or days. Ditto for Moab (though 3 hours there if you are also visiting parks would need a helicopter, and great discipline to keep to schedule...).

Adelaide, Australia
reviews: 40
3. Re: Oz family road trip Anaheim to Denver late September advice

matteilers for sure I was wondering about that so will do what you say and not double back thanks for that. I will also look at the Page for the day and see if we can move this just concerned re driving distances with the kids. EarthlingOnline thanks for your help we have been luck enough to see Bryce Canyon, Zion and the Grand Canyon before so can take the pick of which we see again so will re look at this and see if we can free up some time else where. Las Vegas was more a quick stop to do some outlet shopping, the shopping in the USA is much cheaper than at home and we like to stop up. So will see how we can work around this, but thanks for your help I will re look at things.

Worldwide
reviews: 618
4. Re: Oz family road trip Anaheim to Denver late September advice

For outlet shopping on your proposed route - Silverthorne (Colorado) has some which you might enjoy.

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g33645-d21…

Edited: 2:52 am, January 28, 2014
5. Re: Oz family road trip Anaheim to Denver late September advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, January 30, 2015