We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Summer Family Trip with 2- 8 year old girls

Pensacola, Florida
Summer Family Trip with 2- 8 year old girls

Hello- we are planning our summer vacation to colorado and really want to stay in the mountains. We plan to raft (class 1 or 2), horseback ride, do apline slides or coasters at the ski resorts, and just enjoy the beaufitul weather (we are from Florida). The problem is- I keep going back and forth from Telluride, Aspen, Breckenridge, Vail, Glenwood Springs, etc...We really wanted a nice resort with a "fun" kids pool (waterslide?). Can anyone help me pick a final destination? I know a lof of the areas offer the same type of activities, but I am just undecided. Any tips/help would be appreciated. We have a week.

Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Estes Park, Rocky Mountain National Park
reviews: 83
1. Re: Summer Family Trip with 2- 8 year old girls

Missp gave you a nice itinerary at your previous post.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28927-i252-k63665…

Have you now decided to fly into Denver and stay at only one location for the week?

Pensacola, Florida
2. Re: Summer Family Trip with 2- 8 year old girls

We were thinking so. And just driving day trips if it was close enough. I just don't want to spend the whole trip driving from place to place and never really feeling like we get to relax, per se. Thanks

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
reviews: 50
3. Re: Summer Family Trip with 2- 8 year old girls

My .02 Breckenridge with the kids. The Adventure Park is very fun. Quick drive over to Keystone for summer snow tubing if the snow holds out, super fun. There is the Rec Center if the weather turns bad

www.townofbreckenridge.com/index.aspx…

WI
Destination Expert
for Wisconsin, Colorado Springs
reviews: 93
4. Re: Summer Family Trip with 2- 8 year old girls

in the mountains you specified so why not Breckenridge. It's close to Denver and you could loop over and do a day trip or overnight in CO Springs area before returning to Denver driving through Woodland Park on the way to CO Springs. Maybe even save horseback riding for CO Springs, the Stables at Broadmoor would be a neat location or with Academy Stables through the Garden of the Gods. Glenwood Springs checks nearly all the boxes but does have more of a red rock desert feel vs. mountain feel just google pics of both areas to see the differences there. Breck would afford you a lot to do, near to Denver, in the mountains, with the ability to day trip to lots of places. Save Glenwood for another time perhaps. It really is a kid and outdoor haven and wins awards quite a bit as a great town to visit. Crested Butte is also a neat location but for your specifications Breck seems to fit the bill. SW CO is always great but if you're looking to kick back and relax flying into Denver and going there probably isn't the greatest choice.

Edited: 12:53 pm, May 07, 2013
Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Estes Park, Rocky Mountain National Park
reviews: 83
5. Re: Summer Family Trip with 2- 8 year old girls

Of the places you listed, add my vote to Breck. This is a great list of things to do for Summit County 1FourFun put together.

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i21445-Summit_C…

Do not miss the drive to the top of over 14,000 ft. Mount Evans and the Mount Evans Scenic Byway, very easy day trip from Breck. The drive is NOT for the faint of heart but it is worth it. www.mountevans.com

http://goo.gl/maps/pCj8u

Along Squaw Pass Road near Echo Lake, there are 2 great overlooks at Eagles Aerie and Juniper Pass (short trail to right) picnic areas.

Edited: 1:15 pm, May 07, 2013
Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
6. Re: Summer Family Trip with 2- 8 year old girls

Keystone released the preliminary schedule of summer events, Lots of kid friendly activities. As I said before it is an easy drive over for a visit.

m.keystoneresort.com/keystone-events.html

Edited: 6:07 pm, May 08, 2013
Pensacola, Florida
7. Re: Summer Family Trip with 2- 8 year old girls

Thanks for the link. We were leaning towards Breckenridge....but now Keystone looks great. I just cant decide!!!

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
8. Re: Summer Family Trip with 2- 8 year old girls

No matter which you choose it is an easy drive between the two. Both offer a great family vacation. You might find lodging at Keystone more affordable if that matters. Better shopping and more dining options in Breck if that matters.

Keystone is more low key, Breck busier. Not sure if any of that helps you decide. I think they both are fun!

Pensacola, Florida
9. Re: Summer Family Trip with 2- 8 year old girls

Do you have an opinion between vail and breck?? For kids and rafting, etc.... Thanks so much!

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
10. Re: Summer Family Trip with 2- 8 year old girls

I think of Vail as a more grown up vacation. Nearby Beaver Creek seems more family friendly.

With 8 year kids you are going to want a more mild rafting experience.

I thought of another thing the girls might enjoy, a day at the Keystone Science Camp. I have friends whose kids go every year for the full week program and love it. They offer a one day option. It might give you all a day to spa, hang out, while they meet some kids there on vacation too.

http://tinyurl.com/6llkav5

Edited: 8:24 pm, May 08, 2013