We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where NOT to move in Colorado

Which Colorado hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sand Springs,OK
Where NOT to move in Colorado

Looking in Denver, Castle Rock, and Evergreen areas. Not because of price, but mainly we have children. We want good schools, great mountain views, and most of all SAFETY. We are moving from the Tulsa, OK area and our crime rate is more than double the national average. We are seeking to escape that..any input would be great.

denver
1. Re: Where NOT to move in Colorado

Hi! I'm grew up in Tulsa and moved here (Denver) in 2002. Not sure where you lived in Tulsa, but the crime here is way worse than in Oklahoma! Castle rock is better than Denver, and from what I've heard, the schools are fine. Denver has some definite areas to stay away from.. do your homework carefully. Also.. be prepared for the price jump.. I wasn't. If you can afford Highlands Ranch.. it's better than some parts of Denver. Cherry Creek is another good Denver area with good schools, but super expensive. Good luck.

Trinidad, Colorado
reviews: 3
2. Re: Where NOT to move in Colorado

Consider looking farther south. We moved to Trinidad from Southern Cal to find a great place to raise our kids. We're here for life. Schools are good, not yet great (working on that). But the overall small town life is rich. Strong growth momentum, charming town, amazing people. Worth considering.

Longmont, CO
Destination Expert
for Denver
reviews: 12
3. Re: Where NOT to move in Colorado

Have you considered north? We love living in Longmont.

Colorado
reviews: 2
4. Re: Where NOT to move in Colorado

I would recommend Fort Collins, Parker/Castle Rock area (I grew up in Parker, it is MUCH bigger than it used to be, but still very family oriented), Evergreen is great also. The cost of living in these places is all in line with the quality of life, however, so be prepared to pay a lot for real estate. I have lived all over the state, and really think you'll be happy in any of the places you mentioned. Keep in mind that Denver is the city however, and with the city, you're going to have more crime, traffic, people, etc.

Denver, Colorado
reviews: 9
5. Re: Where NOT to move in Colorado

Hi, I'm from Tulsa, too (Jenks '85 graduate)! I moved to Denver in 1988 and love it! I have 2 elementary age children and we really like the Littleton Public Schools which covers two counties - Arapahoe and Jefferson. If you choose Castle Rock/Highlands Ranch/Parker (Douglas County) most are year-round schools. Cherry Creek is also a great school system. Evergreen is beautiful if you don't mind living in the foothills and are prepared to drive long distances to most anywhere in Denver. Welcome to Colorado!

Edwards
reviews: 3
6. Re: Where NOT to move in Colorado

As someone who has just recently moved here from Tulsa, OK also, I would suggest you check out the Edwards, Avon, Vail area. I am still getting used to the fact that people here hardly ever lock their cars or houses because there is virtually no crime here. Everyone that I have met so far loves living here and I have found it to be true what they say about everyone being so friendly.

Denver, Colorado
reviews: 78
7. Re: Where NOT to move in Colorado

I went to high school in Oklahoma an am sorry to hear things have gone downhill so much in Tulsa. I think you will be happy just about anywhere in Colorado, although there are some rough neighborhoods in the city of Denver. We live one of the western suburbs of Denver and are very happy. Our kids are in the Jefferson County school system and we have been pleased with the education they are getting. The crime rate in our neighborhood is almost nonexistent but we do lock our doors (just out of habit from college dorm days). Good luck with your choice!

Denver, CO
reviews: 4
8. Re: Where NOT to move in Colorado

We've had four murders here in Denver since Thursday. I've visited Tulsa (grudingly) for work several times and find it to be sterile, yet safe. I hate Oklahoma. I live in North Denver, and if you want safety, look elsewhere. I worry every night when I go to sleep. But, I love the neighborhood, and it was the only place I could afford (I just graduated college and am working my first "real-job", have no kids, and am not yet married). If you want good schools, avoid the city of Denver in general, unless you plan on sending your kids to private schools. Still, Denver is a great place and I couldn't imagine living anyhere else at the current time.

Oh, we did just have a streak of 7 weeks without a murder... longest in 40 years!

Indiana
reviews: 1
9. Re: Where NOT to move in Colorado

East Denver not a good place to live.

The old airport district populated by undesirables.

Parker are is best but getting worse.

Evergreen are more desirable.

Colorado
reviews: 8
10. Re: Where NOT to move in Colorado

Might also want to consider Colorado Springs or Monument area. Both are nice areas. Somewhat heavy concentration of evangelical religous folks, but their definitely the "safe" kind of neighboors. District 20 (north/northeast) and the Southwest area (Broadmoor area) are, I think, the best school districts.

Views of Mountains are much better as well, also less traffic in general.