We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best tent camping around Buena Vista area

Which Colorado hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kansas City, MO
reviews: 59
Best tent camping around Buena Vista area

Looking for advice on 2 days of tent camping (hikes or bike rides is a bonus)

After that going to Telluride (condo 3 days) and then 2 days of camping in Ouray.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
reviews: 38
1. Re: Best tent camping around Buena Vista area

Our favorite campsites are the Forest Service campgrounds west of Nathrop along Chalk Creek. Check out.. Mt Princeton, Chalk Lake, Cascade (our favorite), Iron City.

Also look at CG up Cottonwood Pass.

Frisco, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Frisco, Copper Mountain, Breckenridge
reviews: 18
2. Re: Best tent camping around Buena Vista area

I like Hecla Junction. The south side is the take-out for many rafting companies, so it can be busy during the afternoon. I like it because the sites are not on top of each other - In general I can not recall seeing any RVs (I have camped here maybe 10 separate times, but I could have just been lucky), and it is right against the Arkansas river (one of my camping prerequisites is near water).

…state.co.us/Parks/…

Good luck, Have Fun!

Ouray, Colorado
reviews: 35
3. Re: Best tent camping around Buena Vista area

As far as hikes go, you are in the Collegiate Peaks range... Do you have aspirations for a 14er? Gosh knows, there are quite a few with some great routes. Mt. Princeton has a nice trail but the hike is long and could be a little busy. There is a book written by Gerry Roach (best on the topic) that outlines the routes for the 14ers and it might be a good reference if 14ers are in your future.

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
reviews: 112
4. Re: Best tent camping around Buena Vista area

Here are a couple of links with photos and hikes:

scenicbuenavista.com/midland-hill-trail.htm

http://www.buena-vista-colorado.info/

Kansas City, MO
reviews: 59
5. Re: Best tent camping around Buena Vista area

Thanks...it looks like (from the varied responses) we can't go wrong anywhere,

If I get picky and want to scout 2-3 spots that day (a Sunday) where would you start (coming from Co Springs)?

Northern Colorado
reviews: 18
6. Re: Best tent camping around Buena Vista area

I'd start with Chalk Creek.

San Francisco
reviews: 1
7. Re: Best tent camping around Buena Vista area

We stayed 3 nights at the Ruby Mountain site, part of the Arkansas Headwaters State Park. We were right on the water and it was very nice. I also considered Hecla Junction and was told by one of the rafting guides that I made the right decision. It's very close to Buena Vista and has great views. There are no facilities to speak of, but you can go to the hot springs if you need a shower. Cheap too, $14/night plus $6 car fee.

8. Re: Best tent camping around Buena Vista area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, December 22, 2009