We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to Stay- Denver or Boulder - 1st Trip

Which Colorado hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York, NY
Where to Stay- Denver or Boulder - 1st Trip

It is our first trip to Colorado. We have two days. We are a young couple with a young baby. We are not into the party scene. We go to bed early and do family activities.. Should we stay in Boulder or Denver? What hotels should we stay in? Would like a nice hotel, doesn't have to be 5 start, but not 1 either...

We will be staying at Keystone the last 2 days of our trip for a wedding.

Does this sound good- 2 days in Boulder/Denver then 2 days in Mountains???

Denver, CO
reviews: 58
1. Re: Where to Stay- Denver or Boulder - 1st Trip

While I admit I am biased, since I live in and love Denver, I still think you ought to stay in Denver. Whether or not you are into the party scene, Denver is the biggest city in the state and there is just a whole lot going on here. I believe you will find a whole lot more to do in Denver than you will in Boulder. And, if you want to get a feel for Colorado, you won't get that in Boulder.

Boulder is pretty, sure, but you will be getting plenty of pretty when you go up to Keystone. Boulder is basically a pretty homogeneous, upper middle class college town with little of the "flavor" or diversity of the rest of Colorado.

I think 2 days in Denver, then 2 days in the mountains sounds great.

In Denver, I particularly recommend the Molly Brown House Museum in the Capitol Hill neighborhood--it is a lot of fun, the Denver Botanic Garden (one of the finest botanic gardens in the nation), the State Capitol, LoDo (the historic district adjacent to the main financial district downtown), afternoon tea at the Brown Palace Hotel, and exploration of the Commons Park area and Confluence Park. Confluence Park is located at the confluence of South Platte River and Cherry Creek where the city of Denver was founded. There is also an aquarium and Children's Museum along the banks of the South Platte River.

During the summer, there are gondola rides (Venice on the Creek) in Cherry Creek!

While in town, you might want to go check out the Denver Art Museum if for no other reason than to see the new addition (under construction) designed by Daniel Libeskind.

In other words, there is a whole lot to see in our city!

Hope you enjoy your stay in our beautiful state.

Boulder, Colorado
2. Re: Where to Stay- Denver or Boulder - 1st Trip

Well, Denver is big and diverse, but I think Boulder would be the way to go. The town is one of the prettiest in the US with lots of good restaurants and is geared towards young families. It is quiet, you can walk the Pearl Street Mall or Chautuaqua park or drive up into Gold Hill or Nederland (little funky mountain towns, not resorts like Keystone) and the campus is one of the most beautiful in the world. Hotel Boulderado and the St. Julien are right on Pearl Street Mall (one historic, one brand new and very hip in an understated way) but both are sort of expensive. There is a newer nice hotel as soon as you get in to town, Boulder Outlook, and I have heard very good things about it as far as service and price, etc. If you would want to go to Denver, downtown is only 20 minutes away.