We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Young family visiting SoCal from Ireland - need ideas

Which California hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Banbridge, United...
reviews: 3
Young family visiting SoCal from Ireland - need ideas

Hello everyone,

I'm originally from Southern California but haven't been there in about 18 years. We are going for 3 weeks and want to stay in 2 beach areas and we will be renting a home in that area. I need help choosing a nice beach area that's clean and has good local restaurants, shopping, and kid friendly activities within driving distance. Any suggestions will be appreciated! :)

6 replies to this topic
San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
reviews: 61
1. Re: Young family visiting SoCal from Ireland - need ideas

WHEN are you coming and what is your budget in $$s??

Beach areas have different personalities and prices!

Banbridge, United...
2. Re: Young family visiting SoCal from Ireland - need ideas

We will be there from 28th of August until the 21st of September. Budget would be around $1500 a week for accommodation

Costa Mesa...
reviews: 27
3. Re: Young family visiting SoCal from Ireland - need ideas

I think it might help to add the age of your kids and anything particularly interesting. For example, as a young teen, I loved beach bonfires! Those are only available at a few locations. Or are you interested in water sports like surfing or boating?

I always love Newport (but then, we live nearby so maybe I'm biased). You have easy access to amazing restaurants and shops, and also boat rentals. My brother-in-law brought his young family and they spent many a happy hour digging in the sand and BBQing on the deck of the rental home, but they were also able to visit Disneyland while they were here.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
reviews: 61
4. Re: Young family visiting SoCal from Ireland - need ideas

Have you absolutely no idea of what you'd like to see/do besides the beach?

For example, if Disneyland is on your to do list then you'd want to stay in a beach area nearby in Orange County.

If not then other possibilities arise.

You have all of Orange County and all of San Diego County as possibilities + some areas of LA as well. I think you need to consider what activities/sights are interesting to you and your family and then pick an area nearby.

This web site describes beaches in San Diego County:

http://www.a-zsandiegobeaches.com/

You can use this site or a site like :

www.vrbo.com vacation rentals by owner to find rentals

Banbridge, United...
5. Re: Young family visiting SoCal from Ireland - need ideas

Our daughter will be 1 so she will to young for Disneyland. We are considering San Diego but not sure what area would be best. Newport looks really nice! Thanks for the links Riff M, I'll get a look at those now

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Borrego Springs, San Francisco, Solana Beach
reviews: 26
6. Re: Young family visiting SoCal from Ireland - need ideas

If you're not going to do Disney then San Diego county would probably be better and cheaper.

Try north county towns like Solana Beach (nice beach plus the Cedros Design district with shops and restos), Encinitas, Cardiff and Leucadia.

Reply to: Young family visiting SoCal from Ireland - need ideas
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted