We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Motorcycle Cali in Nov 2014? LA to Sac via the cool stuff!

Which California hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 15
Motorcycle Cali in Nov 2014? LA to Sac via the cool stuff!

Hey all,

Hope we are well and having a good day.

Thanks to me mates preggo wife in Sacramento, my vacation to Cali has been pushed back to November.

I don't have dates set, I just need to spend some time in Sacramento and ride a motorbike. Everything else is a bonus.

I'm planning on hiring a motorcycle from somewhere in LA that allows me to drop it to somewhere in the north (Sacramento would be ideal, but I cannot find any companies for a bike LA to Sac. Suggestions on how best to ride a motorbike for a week through Cali and end in Sacramento would be good.)

I want to ride some of the reputable roads through the state, there is a plethora motorcycle forums with that information. My original plan was for about 7 days, to head up the Pacific coast hwy, cut through to Yosemite, maybe up as far as Red Bluff/ Fortuna. Stopping for a now and then for a day for a rest/hike/bungee jump. I planned out a road itinerary for the ride; as a back up as I'm sure my plans will alter once I'm there. I love long days in the saddle but don't want to plan that way.

I'm an adventure minded not quite 40 year old. I want to see awesome nature, ride the roads of repute, do some adventurous stuff like whitewater rafting, cave repelling, off-road dirt biking, Shoot a magnum 45, waterparks, stuff most adults have grown out of. I also want to see some American culture; sport baseball or football or something, museums, native American history, natural history, etc.

November is the start of the rainy season? Snow in placed like Yosemite?

I ride 4 seasons in Australia, but the weather is rarely below freezing. Snow is even rarer.

Should I avoid Yosemite? Should I head out to the deserts? Where should I go? I can figure out which roads to take, there's a plethora of motorcycle forums for the roads. I want the experience of beautiful roads opening into majestic views.

I was planning on camping through. Is it going to be too cold. I heard California is the land of sunshine?

On previous vacations I've usually started with a motorcycle trip which involves me sitting on a bike for a few days trying to get a grip on that I'm halfway round the world and have no idea what I' m doing. I've found that trying to explore a large area, you don't learn much about a place, staying I one area I've left with a much fuller understanding of the culture. Thoughts?

Oh yeah, I'm not rich. I cant afford a guided tour. All them money is being spent on activities like hiring a motorbike, plane tickets and white-water rafting (oh November, will it be too cold for water activities?). I plan on camping as much as possible and staying in the cheaper places. Do they have backpacker or dormitory style accommodation around Cali?

Open to all suggestions unless you suggest not riding a motorbike. Not open to that.

Another question. How difficult is it to get used to riding on the right side of the road? Most places I've been to drive/ride on the left. Rode on the right in Cambodia, but that's quite different from driving/riding in a country that follows the rules.

Thanks ahead of time if you replied!!! :)

1 reply
Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
reviews: 349
1. Re: Motorcycle Cali in Nov 2014? LA to Sac via the cool stuff!

I am not up on motorcycle rentals so I will bump this in the hope someone else is.

Reply to: Motorcycle Cali in Nov 2014? LA to Sac via the cool stuff!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted