We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Francusco, Parks and Northern Pacific Coastal Highway

Which California hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Montevideo, Uruguay
reviews: 1
San Francusco, Parks and Northern Pacific Coastal Highway

Hello! I am posting also in Roadtrips forum, but also here because our trip is basically in California. I also thank you!

Basically we like wilderness. mountains, forests, coast, hiking and camping if possible. A road trip. We enjoy scenic drives too.

The site we have looked for renting the car doesn´t charge fee for one way drive.

So: We would start in SAN FRANCISCO. 2 or 3 days, depending upon the flight arrival hour. That is the important city we want to visit.

In California we think about concentrating interests in SIERRA NEVADA. I have found that besides YOSEMITE we have SEQUOIAS and KING CANYON Parks. There also are scenic drives (roads 992, 994, 995, 996). Also sems wonderful LAKE TAHOE area, going by California.

From there we would like to go towards the NORTH COAST and REDWOOD National and State park.

All of this may seem more of the same scenery, but we like it too much. You will tell us.

We are from Uruguay. Here we don´t have muntains neither snow, etc. In fact now I am in the beach in front of the sea. And we enjoy those destinies (Alaska, Patagonia, Scandinavia). So we would like to "bite" some snow landscape, And we would like to drop off the car the northest we can.

And now the question: In this time of the year, from April to May (we have to return before May 31st of better before May 20th);

-How far North can we go in this time and season? Up to now I haven´t explored too much about Oregon coast. Of course if we cannot camp that wouldn´t be the problem. I´ll go deeper once I have more clear up to where weather would let us. Of course it may be an accidental storm; I mean usually. We always plan with some days to manage something you didn´t plan.

-How would be the best way to distribute 20 or some days more?

-Which place should we choose to drop off the car and take the return flight?

I thank you very much in advance your kindness. That is a great help for us!!!!

2 replies to this topic
Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
reviews: 343
1. Re: San Francusco, Parks and Northern Pacific Coastal Highway

Have you altered the plans to drive to Yellowstone/Jackson Hole and now the trip is mostly in CA?

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i12567-k7078814…

Montevideo, Uruguay
reviews: 1
2. Re: San Francusco, Parks and Northern Pacific Coastal Highway

Yes, according to your comments and other research we had concentrated our goal mostly in SAN FRANCISCO, SIERRA NEVADA and trying to reach REDWOOD PARK and maybe PORTLAND.

We are travelling with AADVANTAGE miles this time.

With a certain knowledge of the situation and what we want TODAY I went to get the FLIGHT TICKETS.

And from now on our plans are according to this: MONTEVIDEO (Uruguay) to SEATTLE April 19th, returning from PORTLAND May 12th.

There were the only chances to travel. If not we had to wait until August. And as I said here we don´t have snow neither mountains, so we´ll adapt to this time.

I´ll restart the search.

At this time I think maybe 2 days at SEATTLE. Have to find out whether possible some place around it. Then going by surface (bus, train usually more expensive, isn´it?) to SAN FRANCISCO. Some days in the city and then take the car to go towards SIERRA NEVADA from the south, after driving 101 route the piece it corresponds. Let´s see what we may do according to weather. We would love some snowshoeing as hiking should be more limited (?), Maybe TAHOE LAKE and from there to REDWOOOD PARK if possible, anyway COAST to PORTLAND to finish our trip.

So THIS POST WILL BE OVER and I´ll introduce some new posts in the different forums and in the ROADS one.

Thanks for your kindness to answer me.

Reply to: San Francusco, Parks and Northern Pacific Coastal Highway
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted