We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas in California: where is the warmest weather?

Which California hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chantilly, France
reviews: 7
Christmas in California: where is the warmest weather?

We are Dutch and flying to LA with our 3 kids (1/2, 3 and 4 years old) to try to get some sun. We were thinking of Las Vegas maybe, and San Diego.

Does anyone have recommendations on :

-what to do that is fun with the kids?

- where to go to catch the warmest weather ? (my husband has asthma and loooooves warm and dry weather )

-beaches to go to? beach hôtels at this time of the year is a good option?

thanks for you replies,

chrystele

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
reviews: 344
1. Re: Christmas in California: where is the warmest weather?

The warmest spot will probably be Palm Springs. Las Vegas isn't that warm in December.

As far as beaches go, San Diego will probably be the warmest beach in California.

It will be warmer than Holland or France, but it is the coldest time of the year for us.

Cuenca, Ecuador
Destination Expert
for California Desert
reviews: 47
2. Re: Christmas in California: where is the warmest weather?

Hello chrystele, and welcome to TripAdvisor and the California forum.

What Scott said.

I want to mention that at this time of year Death Valley National Park is a great idea, especially for families with children. Lots of land to romp around in, hike in and explore, including its sand dunes! (smile) Kids loooove sand dunes. . . watch 'em get tired out and make you, the parents, happy. (grin) The temperatures are often in the mid 60's F. for a high. Informative weather link here: www.nps.gov/deva/naturescience/loader.cfm…

Palm Springs and the PS area of the Coachella Valley has great wintertime temperatures that have drawn folks to it at that time of the year for generations. Comprehensive link here: vacationpalmsprings.com/palm-springs-weather…

About San Diego: wintertime is the foggy and sometimes rainy season (California is currently in a drought), and if late night and early morning low clouds lasting to 9 or 10 AM is your cup of tea, go for it. My sister lived there for many years, and would notice that landlords charged less for rents in the winter, making it the ideal time to get a 12 month or longer lease at the best rate. The Hotel del Coronado is one of San Diego's most historic hotels, and worth the visit if you end up not staying there for lodging. Let us know if you still want San Diego to be in your travel plans. . . up to you, the traveler, of course.

For tons of sun and expansive blue skies, Palm Springs area or Death Valley are hard to beat.

Please let us know if you need more information. The forum members here are ever so willing to be of service to you!

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
reviews: 60
3. Re: Christmas in California: where is the warmest weather?

Hi,

San Diego is in the southernmost part of California. We do not have hot weather in December. It is our winter and the temperature in the coastal area near the beaches will be anywhere from 18C-22C during the day when the sun is out. The minute the sun goes down in the evening or if it is a bit rainy then the temperature will be lower.

IF you go to the desert(Palm Springs area or Death Valley National Park)the temperature will be higher in the daytime but can also get very cold at night when the sun goes down.

So it can range from 22 -25 and higher but be also colder if it gets cloudy.

Overnight the temperature can go down to 7 or so.

Las Vegas is not in California at all and is about a 5hr. drive from San Diego in the state of Nevada.

Let us know if we can help you further with your planning.

Edited: 9:33 am, November 26, 2013
Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
reviews: 42
4. Re: Christmas in California: where is the warmest weather?

Death Valley is fantastic but not always hot:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g143021-i2027-k7…

With young children like yours I would not call Las Vegas best destination. Palm Springs will be best imo.

Chantilly, France
5. Re: Christmas in California: where is the warmest weather?

thank you so much for your answer! then, I think after 2 nights in vegas , we will head to palm springs! any advice for hotel ?

Chantilly, France
6. Re: Christmas in California: where is the warmest weather?

i think 20 degres Celsius is a great weather ! i booked ocean beach hotel in san diego, but instaed of 6 nights , and after you advise, i'll stay 2 nights and spend the rest of the time at palm springs and death valley national park instead then.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 114
7. Re: Christmas in California: where is the warmest weather?

In 6 days and I guess 2 more for Vegas IMHO perhaps 3 days in Palm Springs and San Diego each may be plenty instead of hauling the kids and family from place to place IMHO

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
reviews: 60
8. Re: Christmas in California: where is the warmest weather?

Hmm? You have not mentioned your price range for hotel?

The Ocean Beach Hotel is a small 3*** property on a beach that has a local/surfer/hippie feel to it. It is quite inexpensive but in winter you can also get very good value prices at nicer hotels! Did you perhaps mean the Ocean Park Inn which is in our Pacific Beach neighborhood which offers a cement path along the seafront where you can bike/skate/walk etc. Please let us know your budget and we can offer you ideas on hotels.

Fortaleza, CE
reviews: 360
9. Re: Christmas in California: where is the warmest weather?

According to Weather.com, the average high and low on Christmas Day in Palm Springs are 69F and 44F; in San Diego, 64 and 48. Personally, I'd go for San Diego, as more of a change of scenery from Las Vegas, and more to do with kids. If you go to Palm Springs, take the tramway up Mt. San Jacinto. In and near SD there is, IMHO, so much more to do, and not more desert.

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 13
10. Re: Christmas in California: where is the warmest weather?

Just a thought regarding your husband's asthma .....

Although you may love 20C weather, the nights will be considerably colder, about 5C.

Going out in the evenings may not work well for him so plan ahead by packing some warm scarves and his prescribed medication.

Have fun.

Dr. Z