We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rain Radar website

Which California hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
reviews: 8
Rain Radar website

Hi All,

I was wondering which weather site you all use to get your local forecasts. Of course I can watch the news to get the next days forecast but I am mainly thinking of live rain radar.

I like to watch the live rain radar particularly during a storm so I can see roughly how much longer it will last. I also find it helps the kids to be a little less scared if they can see the storm passing. Also, I'm a bit of a nerd and I just like this sort of stuff.

In Australia I look at the bureau of meteorology website, is there a similar site that allows me to see each of the regions in California, a government department rather than just a TV weather site?

I may not need it as we may just have lovely sunny days all the time but it would be good to have a reliable source to check the weather myself.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 131
1. Re: Rain Radar website

I use www.weatherunderground.com which gets its data from various sources and has the rain radar. There is accuweather and www.weather.com and has the weather channel on TV and pretty much owns many of the websites nowadays.

The official site is this. http://www.weather.gov

I think you are coming in Fall so the chance of rain is 1 to 2 percent and we rarely get thunderstorms in CA.

Speaking for ourselves yes we may look to see if if is going to rain during winter but other than that the only time I look at this is because visitors keep asking what the weather is going to be like

Edited: 7:03 am, November 23, 2013
Sacramento, CA
Destination Expert
for Sacramento
reviews: 33
2. Re: Rain Radar website

Another one is Accuweather.com

Keep in mind that lately the radar has become so sensitive that it picks up moisture that is not even hitting the ground, called Virga. So it may look worse on the screen than it actually is outside.

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 14
3. Re: Rain Radar website

Www.intellicast.com

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
reviews: 61
4. Re: Rain Radar website

IF you are in California in the coastal area you will probably never hear thunder during a rain storm. It only rains and that sound is not scary just kind of soothing. When we moved here from New York many years ago, after a while I began to miss the sound of thunder so now we sleep with a tape of a storm!

As mentioned above you can find radar on any of those weather sites.

Sydney, Australia
5. Re: Rain Radar website

I'm not sure I would ever miss the storms enough to get a tape of them to listen to. But I will admit that we often look forward to the evening storm after a hot summers day to cool everything down and make sleeping possible.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
reviews: 831
6. Re: Rain Radar website

Southern California weather is predictably boring (IMO) - that is one reason so many millions of people like it ;-) Far northern California is different, as are the mountains and to a lesser extent, the high deserts.

Where are you planning to visit?

Sydney, Australia
7. Re: Rain Radar website

Hi Brit, the furthest north we will head is San Francisco. We'll be doing a loop between SF and SD although I'm not sure where the loop will start yet as I have to look at flight options. If I can save few $ just by changing our starting point I will do that.

I'ld love to go further north but not sure I can fit it all in on this trip. I have not yet done a detailed itinerary but I must get to that soon. Airfares seem to be significantly cheaper prior to Sept 10 so I am thinking now of at least departing Aus before that, probably 1st week in Sept and staying either 2 or 3 weeks.

I have young kids and our focus is really DL but looking through all the info on this site I am finding more and more things to do.

San Francisco, Ca
reviews: 55
8. Re: Rain Radar website

Edited: 12:25 am, November 24, 2013
So.Cal
reviews: 9
9. Re: Rain Radar website

If you're coming in August/September, the chance of any rain is very slim. There are occasional thunderstorms up in the mountains, but it doesn't sound like that's where you'll be. September weather is usually wonderful - could be hot, but probably about what you're used to in Sydney in March. When we do want to watch the radar, we use www.weather.com

10. Re: Rain Radar website

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, November 26, 2014