We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

LA before or after the Gran Canyon tour in my schedule trip

Florence, Italy
reviews: 5
LA before or after the Gran Canyon tour in my schedule trip

Hi, I'll be in the US in September for a month.

After a week in NY, I'll fly to SF, spend 4 days there and then go to Monterey and try to see the whales on the 18th or 17th of Sept.

I also would like to see Big sur and a little bit of the Central Coast.

I need to be in Las Vegas on the 21th because I booked a 7 days tour leaving on the 22th to the main southwest parks.

The problem is that I also would like to spend a couple of days in LA and other two (I mean one night) in the Yosemite park. I don't understand whether is better to do this before or after the

Do you think is workable to go to LA on the 30th spend a couple of days there and from LA go to the Yosemite on the 2th spend the night there and then go back to SF where I'll fly back from on the 5th of October?

I also thought to go to LA from Salinas after visiting Monterey and Big Sur, that is before going to Las vegas, but I don't know if I have enough time for. As far as I could understand to go to Big Sur I can catch the 22bus, but to go further south I need to go back to Salinas and catch a Greyhound or so? Is that right?

Sorry for my English.

Chiara

6 replies to this topic
San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
reviews: 57
1. Re: LA before or after the Gran Canyon tour in my schedule trip

Buses here in the USA are not the best way to travel so I am not sure I'd suggest you use them to see Big Sur unless you are on a tour.

There ARE tours from San Francisco to Yosemite so that might be easier than trying to go from LA.

You may just have to accept that you cannot do everything since you will be relying on public transport and not driving your own car which is the really best way to get to many of these places!

Your English is quite good!!!

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
reviews: 59
2. Re: LA before or after the Gran Canyon tour in my schedule trip

Here is some info about public transportation to Yosemite from San Francisco: tripadvisor.com/Travel-g61000-c151758

Also San Francisco: Tours to Yosemite National Park tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60713-c191550

While it might be possible to use public transportation from Yosemite to the Monterey Peninsula, it is quite challenging. There are several buses you must use. Someone else asked about doing this, and it sure didn't seem easy.

Florence, Italy
3. Re: LA before or after the Gran Canyon tour in my schedule trip

Hi thank you for your quick reply.

I love driving, but I didn't really feel like renting a car on my own.

I know that car is the best way to travel in the US, but I'll depend on bus.

I'm not a organized tour lover, but I saw that the Monterey Salinas Transport have buses to Big Sur.

I was wondering wether I could menage to get to LA before going to Las Vegas (need to be there on the 21th), considering that I'll be in the Monterey area from the 17th. I don't think there is enough time.

Thank you,

Chiara

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
reviews: 57
4. Re: LA before or after the Gran Canyon tour in my schedule trip

I don't blame you for not wanting to drive by yourself.

Cars are not the "best way to travel in the USA" but they ARE the best way to travel in California outside of San Francisco! I also don't like organized tours at all but sometimes they are a good way to get from place to place.

Going from Monterey to Big Sur may very well be possible by bus but none of us really have experience going from that area down to LA by bus!

You might look into the price of flying from Monterey to LA.

Here are the airlines that leave from that airport and where they fly:

www.montereyairport.com/mry_airlines.html

Florence, Italy
5. Re: LA before or after the Gran Canyon tour in my schedule trip

Thank you for you reply.

I didn't think to go to Monterey from the Yosemite. But, since I thought to go to the Yosemire after SF, Monterey and the 7 days southwest parks tour, I was wondering if it was worth going there from LA.

IWe say it's a "too small blanket" meaning that I'm desperate trying go to everywhere I wish without being able, because ther's not enough time.

If I could manage to go to LA before going on the Gran Canyon tour, I'd have more time to go to the Yosemite later when I go back to SF. But I have only 4 days for Monterey and Big Sur, I don't think I'll be able to include LA, even if I start to go to go to the south from Paso Robles or so.

i'll think about it.

Or maybe I should just go to the Yosemite for one day? Do you think is worth? Or a bit silly?

As for the Yosemite have you any news about the Yosemite fire? I' m very sorry for this natural disaster.

Thank you.

Next time I'll write a shorter text.

Florence, Italy
6. Re: LA before or after the Gran Canyon tour in my schedule trip

Thank you Riff M., I'll check the Monterey plane website too.

I know, you're right about organized tours. Even though I'm not too keen on them, I booked a minibus tour for the southwest parks with a small group.

But next time I hope I'll be able to share a car with someone and drive wherevere I want!!

Thank you,

Chiara

Reply to: LA before or after the Gran Canyon tour in my schedule trip
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted