We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Full wetsuits or shorties???

Manchester...
Full wetsuits or shorties???

We're travelling to Cambria and Santa Cruz in August. We'd like to do some boogie-boarding. We've been told the ocean is really cold! Could we get away with short wetsuits or will we have to use full-length ones?

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
reviews: 3
1. Re: Full wetsuits or shorties???

My son surfs the CA coast year around. The only 2 months he can wear his shortie is July and August, and maybe into September. Some kids don't have wet suits and boogie board with rash guards in the summer.

Manchester...
2. Re: Full wetsuits or shorties???

Thanks for that. Does your son surf Souther California though .... where the water's warmer?

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
reviews: 3
3. Re: Full wetsuits or shorties???

Yes, he generally surfs from Santa Barbara to San Diego, but we've visited Santa Cruz on vacations where he has boogie boarded because we didn't have his surfboard along. He is used to cold water because he surfs year around in LA, and he wouldn't call the water warm at all. The outside temps just feel better in summer.

Santa Clara...
reviews: 13
4. Re: Full wetsuits or shorties???

Depends on your cold tolerance, but I would say full suit for most people. What is your boarding experience? There are no swimming beaches between Carmel and Cambria. I would suggest only do it on the major beaches in Santa Cruz. I have lived in San Diego, LA, and the Bay Area. The only place I have boarded without a suit is SD mid August when water temp is mid 70F.

5. Re: Full wetsuits or shorties???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, July 11, 2014