We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road trip from Vegas

Newquay, England...
reviews: 5
Road trip from Vegas

Hi need help planning a 2

Week road trip from Vegas heading to Yosemite San Fran then back along the coast to Vegas 2 adults 1 baby need routes suggestions hotels camping ideas prefer small towns to big cities should I book hotels etc ??? Thank you trip is in beginning of August

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
reviews: 59
1. Re: Road trip from Vegas

You absolutely MUST have lodging reservations. Campsite reservations would be good too, but you're planning so late that there might not be anything.

Specific lodging & campground suggestions can be discussed on the city/destination forum. This one is more about itinerary planning. The Top Questions on the right has some great info about the drive from Las Vegas to Yosemite and the drive from SF to L.A.

A usual loop would be LV - Lone Pine - Yosemite Valley or nearby - SF - Monterey - Pismo Beach - L.A. - LV But including camping and a baby (infant? toddler?) you'd probably want more time in Yosemite, camping at Tuolumne Meadows would be good.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 114
2. Re: Road trip from Vegas

We love to help visitors but they do need to do research and get info and we can help tweak it for them. With 100 plus degree heat in Vegas, I am not sure why someone would want to make that spot the center of a vacation with a kid when the coastal part of Ca with beaches and cooler temps would be great for a kid and for the family Please do some research and prioritize what you want to do and see and map it out in maps.google.com.

If you still want to do the 1 week trip, then one does need to spend 2-3 days in Yosemite and 3-4 in SF to do some justice but that will give you very little time to see anything outside. that. Have you thought of flying to SFO or OAK and then driving to Yosemite and back as a car is not needed in SF.

San Francisco, Ca
reviews: 44
3. Re: Road trip from Vegas

>>Yosemite San Fran then back along the coast to Vegas<<

You don't really have time to do all this in a week... I'd pick two of the three - Yosemite/SF or Yosemite/Coast or SF/Coast. Otherwise you'd be doing a lot of driving: 2 nights Yosemite, 2 nights SF, 1 night Monterey, 1 night Cambria, 1 night en route back to Las Vegas. (and with 2 nights in Yosemite and SF, you'll really only have 1 day in each of those....)

So Cal
reviews: 64
4. Re: Road trip from Vegas

It's a little difficult to read, but I think the OP has two weeks. Still tight, though, especially with a baby.

Yes, you do need to book ahead- these are popular spots.

Newquay, England...
5. Re: Road trip from Vegas

Hi we do not intend spending any time in Vegas just flying into there the trip is 2 weeks

Newquay, England...
6. Re: Road trip from Vegas

Sorry you have misunderstood it's a 2 week trip

So Cal
7. Re: Road trip from Vegas

If you're not spending any time in Las Vegas, why do you want to fly in and out of there? It's nowhere near the other places you mentioned, and a whole state away from the coast. You'll spend a day on the road each way. Much better to land in maybe San Francisco and leave from LA or San Diego, or do a loop.

LA
Destination Expert
for Kohala Coast, Island of Hawaii
reviews: 1
8. Re: Road trip from Vegas

Maybe they got really good deals on the tickets flying into/out of Las Vegas.

They can have a nice trip with a two week roadtrip. Just avoid the really hot areas (which will be Las Vegas, Death Valley)

Edited: 4:59 pm, May 11, 2013
So Cal
9. Re: Road trip from Vegas

Sure, that was my thought. But it would have to be a really good deal to make up for the extra travel time.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
reviews: 751
10. Re: Road trip from Vegas

I don't think it's wise to plan to camp in the desert heat with a baby :-( Along the coast, yes it's cooler, but you MUST book your campsites well ahead. As in now. Where were you planning on buying or renting your camping equipment?

August is very busy everywhere!

Jenny G, are you familiar with mapquest or googlemaps? They can help you plan your trip and most importantly let you see how many miles you're planning and how many hours it will take to drive. Add about 10% to the times given to allow for roadworks etc.