We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One way car hire San Francisco to Vancouver

Which California hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dublin
reviews: 89
One way car hire San Francisco to Vancouver

I have only been able to get one(very expensive) quote for one way car hire -Pick up San Francisco and drop off Vancouver BC.The quote was from Hertz. Other car hire websites do not offer the option of San Fran to Vancouver.Can anyone recommend a car hire company that offers one way rental to Canada.

Otherwise , if it is much cheaper , would it be a realistic option to return car in Seattle (or other closer town) and take Public Transport to Vancouver.

Is crossing the border by cab an option?

My trip is in May 2013 and is for 3 weeks. Thank you for your help.

Fortaleza, CE
reviews: 348
1. Re: One way car hire San Francisco to Vancouver

It's very tough to find rentals from the U.S. to Canada (and the other way, I believe). Not sure if rental companies can just rent a U.S. licensed car to someone in Canada to take back to the States. When I was looking at rentals from Detroit to Montreal, Avis was the only one I found, and it was expensive. I assume you've already looked at the possibility of returning the car to downtown Seattle and then taking the train or bus to Vancouver.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
reviews: 68
2. Re: One way car hire San Francisco to Vancouver

>>would it be a realistic option to return car in Seattle (or other closer town) and take Public Transport to Vancouver.<<

This is the option most folks choose. Go to the Seattle forum for details about taking the train to Vancouver BC.

You'll still pay a one way drop fee, unless you find a company that wants one of their cars in Seattle.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
reviews: 6
3. Re: One way car hire San Francisco to Vancouver

We were in Vancouver on 9/11 at the airport hotel for a flight to San Francisco. When all the flights were cancelled we were able to get an airport shuttle from the Vancouver airport to the Bellingham, Washington, airport and rent a car there to drive home. You might look at dropping your rental car off at that airport and seeing what transportation might be available to Vancouver. The shuttle we were on took about an hour and may have been a special Canadian favor to those of us from the US, I am not sure.

To avoid a drop off fee many persons from the UK and Australia book their cars from a site like carhire3000.UK, jigsaw or similar. These sites include all of the insurance you will need and do not charge a drop of fee to non US residents.

Edited: 10:44 am, April 01, 2013
Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
reviews: 22
4. Re: One way car hire San Francisco to Vancouver

We've rented cars at SEA and driven to YVR and vice versa for Alaska cruises. So, just change cars at SEA if you can't find a reasonable rate from SFO. It depends on the number of people in your party and on timing issues if that would be better than taking public transport.

Dublin, California
reviews: 29
5. Re: One way car hire San Francisco to Vancouver

Is this a one way trip or are you returning to SF? We usually fly to Seattle, rent a car to drive to Vancouver, then return the car to Seattle.

San Francisco, Ca
reviews: 46
6. Re: One way car hire San Francisco to Vancouver

Also be sure to check car hire sites specifically for folks in other countries (like carhire3000) as they include all insurance and usually waive one-way drop fees.

Washington State
Destination Expert
7. Re: One way car hire San Francisco to Vancouver

Those one way fees that are waived are typically between SF, L.A., Las Vegas, and Phoenix. But you might get lucky and find a rental that includes the drop fee to Seattle.

If you'd like ideas about your itinerary, be sure to check the destination forums (Top Questions & Itineraries) for this state, Oregon, and Washington. If you'll still be in the US for Memorial Day weekend, you'll probably want lodging reservations.

Dublin
reviews: 89
8. Re: One way car hire San Francisco to Vancouver

Thank You for your suggestions. I have changed ny flight to Depart Seattle instead of Vancouver and was able to get quotes from all car hire companies as a result. Taking the car out of the States seemed to be a deal breaker.Still stuck with a $300 one way fee but I can live with that.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
reviews: 342
9. Re: One way car hire San Francisco to Vancouver

Glad you worked it out, but I think the large drop fees might have been the distance, not necessarily the US Canada thing.

Did you check with CarHire3000, Traveljigsaw? My impression was that they didn't charge drop off fees in the U.S.

http://www.carhire3000.com/

Washington State
Destination Expert
10. Re: One way car hire San Francisco to Vancouver

The 'no drop fee' for foreign visitors usually applies to routes between San Francisco, Los Angeles, Las Vegas, and Phoenix. Seattle is too far. $300 sounds reasonable.