We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suitable beach location for a driving holiday

Which California hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bogota, Colombia
Level Contributor
89 posts
32 reviews
Suitable beach location for a driving holiday

Hello,

I'm planning a trip to California for August. I'm planning on driving around and I hope to include the Grand Canyon, Yosemite National Park and San Francisco. I'd also like to spend a few days on the beach, but I'm concerned that it might not be warm enough in California where temperatures seem to be around 68F/19'C, and I'm not sure about humidity.

Can anyone recommend a good location where my (older) family could enjoy a few days lying on the beach? I don't mind travelling so long as it fits in with the rest of my plans. I did look at flying over to Hawaii but it seems like it might be a bit too much of a hassle logistically.

Thank you!

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,605 posts
42 reviews
1. Re: Suitable beach location for a driving holiday

Grand Canyon is in Arizona. It will help if you tell us how long you have for this trip. I reckon you will rent a car. Btw you need reservations for GC, Yosemite and along Pacific Coast that time of year.

Tet

Bogota, Colombia
Level Contributor
89 posts
32 reviews
2. Re: Suitable beach location for a driving holiday

Hi Tet, yes as I mentioned I am driving. I am planning on reserving accommodation this week, so I'm trying to get the specifics of the trip sorted now. I will spend about two weeks on this trip.

Grover Beach, Ca
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
17,183 posts
9 reviews
3. Re: Suitable beach location for a driving holiday

The beaches between Los Angeles are better suited for laying on the beach. Santa Monica, Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach are just a few good beach options.

In the Nor Cal area, Santa Cruz is the sunniest, warmest beach.

We don't have high humidity here, so no worries about sweltering heat. Our temps along the coast are naturally cool, which is why so many Californians flock to them from the VERY hot inland areas.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,605 posts
42 reviews
4. Re: Suitable beach location for a driving holiday

Suggest to make a one way trip. If you rent from an UK broker no drop off charges for a rental car. Something like:

1 Arr Phoenix

2. Phx-Sedona-Grand Canyon

3. Grand Canyon

4. Grand Canyon-Las Vegas

5. Las Vegas to Lone Pine via Death Valley NP

6. Lone Pine-Yosemite

7. Yosemite

8. Yosemite-San Francisco

9.10: SF

11. San Francisco-Santa Cruz-Monterey

12. Monterey-Cambria

13. Cambria-Los Angeles

14: Los Angeles.

I really don't see how to add time for a beachstay on this trip. If the coast and beachstays are most important to you I suggest to drop Grand Canyon NP and make this trip from SF, LA or even Las Vegas.

Bogota, Colombia
Level Contributor
89 posts
32 reviews
5. Re: Suitable beach location for a driving holiday

Thanks very much for your beach suggestions, kibblesmum! Very helpful.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
47,220 posts
92 reviews
6. Re: Suitable beach location for a driving holiday

>>I am planning on reserving accommodation this week<<

August is the busiest time to travel, and some folks made their lodging reservations last August. When you're ready to look for lodging in a city/destination, go to that forum page. Read the Top Questions for any lodging tips. Read relevant hotel reviews. Then post a question. Be sure to share info about your trip with the folks on that forum. Yosemite & Grand Canyon NP will be the most challenging to find lodging.

If you can make your trip 2.5+ weeks, then follow Tet's itinerary and end up in the Los Angeles area for your beach time.

Will you still be in the US over the busy Labor Day holiday weekend?

Bogota, Colombia
Level Contributor
89 posts
32 reviews
7. Re: Suitable beach location for a driving holiday

No, we'll be gone well before then. Luckily finding accommodation hasn't been a problem so far. We have booked flights in and out of San Fran and will be in the USA for 2 weeks.

Bogota, Colombia
Level Contributor
89 posts
32 reviews
8. Re: Suitable beach location for a driving holiday

The rough route so far is San Francisco - Yosemite - Death Valley - Las Vegas - Grand Canyon - Los Angeles then up the coast back to SF. Obviously, with stops along the way! I found this page which was quite interesting for beach locations if anyone else is looking discoverlosangeles.com/blog/eight-great-beac…

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,605 posts
42 reviews
9. Re: Suitable beach location for a driving holiday

You also can try to find a beach between LA and SF like Santa Barbara, Pismo Beach Avila Beach etc. but I still think you won't have much time for a beachstay. Btw writing this while sitting on a beach but not in your neck of the woods -lol-

10. Re: Suitable beach location for a driving holiday

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, April 23, 2014