We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San fransico-las Vegas

reviews: 6
San fransico-las Vegas

Hi guys, myself and my boyfriend are planning a road trip this August from 8th- 23rd. We are flying into San Fran and home to Dublin on 23rd. We are hoping to travel down pacific coast highway to la possibly onto San Diego (not sure if worth a visit) across to Vegas via Grand Canyon, we would love to take in Yosemite also but not sure if this is feasible! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Gail

1. Re: San fransico-las Vegas

Sorry guys failed to mention we are flying home from Las Vegas on 23rd

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
reviews: 56
2. Re: San fransico-las Vegas

Hi again Gabby

I'm glad Valiants counted the nights for us. Let's try that itinerary suggested on your other thread and flesh it out. I still don't know anything about your travel style (prefer cities? nightlife? long hikes? long walks? fine dining? theme parks?), so this is just a stab in the dark.

SFO - SF (3-5 nights) - {pick up car when you leave SF} Yosemite Valley or nearby (2-3 nights) - Monterey (1-2 nights) - Pismo Beach / Cambria (1 night) - L.A. (3-4 nights) - South Rim of Grand Canyon (1 night) - Las Vegas (3-4 nights) - LAS

With only 15 nights, you'll have to research some about the various cities / destinations to determine which suit your travel style best. If you choose only 3 nights in SF, that's just 2 days (the first day you're jet lagged and the 4th day you drive away.) Las Vegas will be incredibly hot in August, but some folks like feeling like they're in an oven; it's a unique city that you might just need to experience.

The Top Questions in the upper right has more info about the coastal drive. Note that this is not a beach drive but a coast drive.

3. Re: San fransico-las Vegas

That sounds like good advice. We are in our mid twenties, We want to get a good glimpse of both cities and natural beauties, this is why i like your ,plan. We were hoping to visit Disney and possible Universal, again, this is time permitting. Would it be an option to fly from LA to Vegas to cut down on the 9hr drive?

Washington State
Destination Expert
4. Re: San fransico-las Vegas

Disneyland is not in L.A., so you need to add time for that.

It's about 9 hours to drive from L.A. or from Anaheim (where Disneyland is located) to the South Rim of the Grand Canyon. Spending a night is the best way to experience this lovely NP ~ sunset AND sunrise. Then it's 5 hrs to Las Vegas.

It is 'only' 5 hours to drive from L.A. to Las Vegas. Then it's 5 hrs to the Grand Canyon. Then it's 5 hrs back to Las Vegas. My route is an hour shorter and it doesn't backtrack, but it does have a long drive one day.

If you don't want/need to see GCNP this time, or if you don't mind renting another car to drive yourselves to GCNP, or if you have lots of money for the bus tour, or if you have tons of money for the fixed wing flight, then fly from a southern California airport (BUR, ONT, SNA, or maybe LAX) to LAS. It doesn't seem like it would save time, but it might.

5. Re: San fransico-las Vegas

Thanks pcwf, yes I agree you are right, best to just drive! Can you recommend any winerys on this route? Where would u recommend we stay while in la? Would like to do Hollywood, walk of fame, Venice beach and Santa Monica.

Washington State
Destination Expert
6. Re: San fransico-las Vegas

Hi again Gabby

For specific advice about a destination, go to that forum page. Read the relevant Top Questions & Itineraries. Read relevant hotel reviews. Then post a question on that forum, including info about your travel group, your budget, your time of year, and your preferences.

If you want winery suggestions for your Hwy 1 drive, I'd suggest making a new thread on this forum. I'm not sure where you'll end up. Share what type of wine you want to taste and what type of experience you want. I've read past threads with suggestions for Monterey, Paso Robles, and Santa Ynez Valley, but I don't have any suggestions myself. And I'm afraid that your 'Central California coast winery suggestion' request will get lost in this 'San Francisco - Las Vegas' thread.

7. Re: San fransico-las Vegas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, April 01, 2014