We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay

Which California hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Where to stay

Hi all,

we are travelling to US from Australia - 2 adults and 3 children (14, 12, 10)...we land the morning of Friday the 14th June at 10:30. We are staying in San Fran Sun 16th so have 2 nights to book.

We will pickup hire car from LAX (any company recommendations appreciated please). I imagine we will want to have a shower and rest? sleep/ I don't think we will want to negotiate traffic for too long.

I was thinking Fri night Santa Monica, Sat night Monterey, Sun night San Fran. Is there a better way to break this drive up? I think that the drive on Sat from Santa Monica to Monterey may be too long. Would really LOVE any suggestions please. Thanks so much.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 114
1. Re: Where to stay

Yes. Please take some time to read the top questions on the right side. Plenty of info on the drive from LA to SF

It is crazy to not spend at least 2-3 days in LA to get over jetlag instead of driving the next day

Most will stop in Pismo beach or Cambria for one night and then Monterey for the second night and then come to SF. But please do not do this the day after you land

www.carhire3000.com has options Also look at Hertz, Avis, Budget, Alamo and Enterprise only. Do not book Dollar/Thrifty/Payless,/Fox /rent a wreck/rent a jalopy etc.

What else are you doing on this vacation. Your original plan has one day in the LA area. Why ? what is your overall itinerary?

Edited: 12:02 am, March 21, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
2. Re: Where to stay

Hi Belomiser, thanks for your reply!! We are driving up to San Fran where we will stay for 2 nights, then drive down through Yosemite and Lone Pine to Las Vegas. We then fly to NY for a week, then Orlando for a week, then back to LA for 3 days, then home. I have booked San Fran, Yosemite, Lone Pine, Las Vegas and Ny so far. Loving reading trip advisor.

Melbourne, Australia
3. Re: Where to stay

HI again, can we save a bit of driving time on inland highway for the 1st half of the trip, then onto coast road? Would Cambria be about half way for our stop over? Thanks

Glasgow, United...
reviews: 30
4. Re: Where to stay

I would be tempted to recommend that, given the tight time you have allowed to get to San Francisco, you just get a short internal flight up to San Francsico, probably after overnighting in an airport hotel.

Your kids are going to be tired and out-of-sorts, and it's a much further distance between the cities than people first imagine. The main freeway will shorten the journey by a bit, but there's nothing special to see, and both days will make for long, aduous driving, even without factoring in jet-lag, which is always worst when flying west to east.

Do yourself and your family a big favour. Fly up to SFO (Southwest and JetBlue are amongst the lower cost carriers). You can rent a car at the airport there, and, if you've had a night's rest you should be much happier (and safer!) driving from there. Save the PCH for another trip when you can give it the 4/5 days it deserves.

PS. Please tell me that you're not planning to drive San Francisco/Yosemite/LonePine/Las Vegas in one go, without stopping?! Get a good look at a map - the distances involved are huge, and it's possible that Route 120 through Yosemite to Lee Vining might still be shut for the winter snows in early June, meaning that you'd have to go around, rather than through Yosemite.

Enjoy planning!

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 114
5. Re: Where to stay

yes the drive from LA to SB to San Luis Obispo is via Highway 101 which is a regular US highway and then you go on Hwy 1 which is the 2 lane road that hugs the coast and Cambria is a logical stop

As far as the Yosemite area. Roads are closed through late Spring so you should check that in advance or you may not be able to take the route from Yosemite South

2 nights in SF ? Sob Sob. That is only one full day and one does need 3-4 day to see SF. I think you have the right time for NYC. But imho there is so much to see in the West. that one should come again to see the East Coast. You are missing out on SD, the Grand Canyon, Sedona, The National Parks in Utah and the Western part of the US North of SF to Portland to the Amazing Seattle Area

I know you may or can not change things now but I just wanted to say my piece :-)

Edited: 5:08 pm, March 21, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
6. Re: Where to stay

Thanks Zafiragirl, we have 2 nights stopover between San Fran and Las Vegas. I will check road access.

Thanks again belomiser....I will check Yosemite roads. Yes, we are missing a lot, we are limited by time and finances :( Where would you recommend our first night after flight into LAX? Should we stay out of LA on highway 101??

Really appreciating this help!!

7. Re: Where to stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, March 23, 2014