We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

North to South Road Trip

Nutley, New Jersey
North to South Road Trip

In June my husband, sister, 3 year old son and I are going to be driving from San Francisco to San Diego. We are trying to decide what do in between Santa Barbara and Hollywood. We want to see Malibu, but are not sure if we should stay there the night. We would either stay there the night or stay somewhere else and then just stop in Malibu for a few hours. Any suggestions?? See the itinerary below. Any other suggestions?

2 nights in San Fran

2 nights in Yosemite

2 nights in Carmel

1 night in Cambria

1 night in Santa Barbara

Possibly a night in Malibu - Suggestions? Oxnard?

Hollywood for the day, then drive to Anaheim

Anaheim for 3 nights (2 days in Disney)

3 Nights in San Diego - Staying on Coronado Island

Grover Beach, Ca
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
reviews: 3
1. Re: North to South Road Trip

Your plan looks okay to me. I'm not sure there's really all that much to Malibu to make it worth an overnight stop. Perhaps a drive through and continue down to Santa Monica or stay somewhere closer to Hollywood. Personally, I found Malibu a little disappointing. Just seemed like one LONG row of attached homes blocking the view. :-(

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 114
2. Re: North to South Road Trip

2 nights in SF gives you 1 day which for most would be too short a time to see SF. Most suggest 3-4 days to get a flavor of our city. Cambria to SB is just over 2 hours and you could still see the city enroute to LA.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
reviews: 338
3. Re: North to South Road Trip

Cambria would be the halfway point between SF & LA, but since you are staying in Monterey/Carmel I'd skip Cambria, add that night to SF and drive straight to Santa Barbara from Monterey/Carmel.

It would look like this now.

3 nights in San Fran

2 nights in Yosemite

2 nights in Carmel

1 night in Santa Barbara

1 night Hollywood

3 nights Anaheim

3 Nights in San Diego

Nutley, New Jersey
4. Re: North to South Road Trip

Thanks for the info. We actually already have been to San Fran so that's why we are only staying 2 nights. We have to come back and do the wine country with out kids at some point in our lives! We think we are going to stay in Santa Monica instead of Malibu.

5. Re: North to South Road Trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, March 07, 2014