We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Muir Woods - How do I get there without a car?

Which California hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto
reviews: 61
Muir Woods - How do I get there without a car?

Hi,

Traveling to San Francisco in May (early) and would love to go to the Muir Woods but noticed there doesn't seem to be any public transportation there. I don't mind paying bus fare to get there but it seems like there are only tours and I don't want to be stuck to a 1 hour exploration time.

Perhaps I'm not searching online properly. Any suggestions how to get there?

I have a driving license but don't drive regularly and just got my license a few months ago and would be nervous about driving on the highway.

Any suggestions would be great because it looks beautiful!

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 132
1. Re: Muir Woods - How do I get there without a car?

Toms tours are a much more exhaustive tour of Muir Woods if you don't want to do the shorter tours. Just for reference, most people spend an hour or two there. Hikers do go on hikes there but that is more convenient (to get there and back ) with a car

New York City, New...
reviews: 9
2. Re: Muir Woods - How do I get there without a car?

Well, there has been a summer weekend shuttle (route 66) to Muir from Marin City or Sausalito for the past several years, beginning in May. No word on if and when it will start this year yet.

Otherwise, the West Marin Stagecoach #61 (a small bus not an actual stagecoach). It runs along Panoramic Highway about 1000 feet above Muir Woods. You would have to take a Golden Gate Transit bus from San Francisco to Marin City where you'd transfer to the Stagecoach route 61. Get off at the Pantoll Ranger Station, where you can get a map of Mount Tamalpais State Park, that will include Muir Woods. It's a two mile hike down into Muir Woods from the Ranger Station, take the Old Mine Trail south to a clearing, then you can pick up the Ben Johnson Trail down into Muir on the left, going back into the forest.

If you want to make a day of it, and explore more of the parks and beach, you could get to Pantoll shortly after 9AM, spend a few hours exploring Muir Woods, then take the Dipsea Trail from the Muir Woods parking area back over the mountain to Stinson Beach for some oysters and Chardonnay. while you await the Stagecoach back. There are great views on this hike heading down to the ocean.

San Francisco...
3. Re: Muir Woods - How do I get there without a car?

I had the same question yesterday. I found out this morning that it is possible with a 3 day hop-on/hop-off tour with City Sightseeing. The cost for an adult ticket is $74.99, while child is $49.99.

You board the bus at Fisherman's Wharf (along Leavenworth St, between Beach St and Jefferson St). The bus takes you across the Golden Gate Bridge to Sausalito. Once there, you will hop onto another bus that will take you to Muir Woods. All transfers are covered in the 3 day ticket. You just need to pay the entrance fee of $7 for anyone above 15 years of age (free for visitors under 15).

I will strongly recommend this option. It is easy and the drivers are hilarious. We had good laughs while traveling with them.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
reviews: 55
4. Re: Muir Woods - How do I get there without a car?

This company offers a long stop at the Woods (90 or 120 minutes, depending on the tour you select):

sanfranshuttletours.com/muir_woods_tours.htm

5. Re: Muir Woods - How do I get there without a car?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, December 16, 2014