We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please critique

Which California hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
canada
Please critique

Travelling for two weeks, having advice from all of you could you please tell me if this sounds okay for an LA to SF adventure.Arriving in LA for 4 days not sure about staying at Magic Castle or Santa Monica for that time. Then PCH to Santa Barbara for oneday then to Pismo Beach for 1 day to move along to Monterey for 2 days.Then upto SF for 4 days. Please help if I am not going to stops we are going to enjoy as We have a 19, 16,12,8 year older. Thanks

San Francisco...
reviews: 123
1. Re: Please critique

When are you arriving - summer? winter? Do you like surfing? Or swimming? Or just enjoying scenery?

I think what you describe would be very enjoyable for most people. Although the first time I drove the PCH (as a child), I ended up throwing up on the side of the road. But I enjoy it now and my kids have no problem with the drive -- and snicker when I tell them what happened to me.

Would you also be interested in San Diego (Sea World, Zoo, Beaches, etc).

canada
2. Re: Please critique

Arriving in summer. This is so confusing to which way to go.Both San Diego and SF sound great. We have been to seaworld in Orlando twice not really wanting to do that again. That's why I was thinking SF way. Thanks

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
reviews: 61
3. Re: Please critique

It sounds like a lovely trip!

San Diego has much more to offer than Sea World but we also love San Francisco so perhaps do one now and come to San Diego on another trip.

reviews: 768
4. Re: Please critique

What is your budget for lodging for Monterey? :)

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 131
5. Re: Please critique

The OP had about 25+ threads on her post about going North or South of LA. I presume you have put this itinerary together so that you can move on from that discussion and finalize your plans.

The drive from LA (say Santa Monica to SB) is quite short and one could spend a day there. With this is plan, you are getting a day in SB, in Pismo and in Monterey which are all coastal communities as well as LA and SF. I would cut out say SB and drive straight to Pismo and then take another day and add 2 days in Yosemite National Park. I think your teens will really enjoy the park for a couple of days and in Summer (you have to book now) the waterfalls will be gushing and it will be an amazing park to visit

Edited: 11:49 am, October 14, 2012
Roseville...
reviews: 15
6. Re: Please critique

Though you could easily cut out SB, your trip is fine as is.

I don't agree on adding Yosemite. It adds several hundred miles of driving. Lots to see/do with your route.

I'm a drive-less-enjoy- more guy.

Yosemite would be best for another trip. Same with SD. You will get more diversity with LA, coast drive, and SF than substituting SD for SF.

canada
7. Re: Please critique

Thanks for your repy.My 25+ threads I sound like a real bother. Just trying together good advise from experts to someone trying to figure things out.Maybe I should just read instead of posting.I don't think I will add Yosemite to this trip to many extra miles. Would 2 days in Pismo and to in Cambria be Ok? Maybe another idea.Thanks

Pasadena, California
Destination Expert
for Pasadena
reviews: 27
8. Re: Please critique

No, your initial plan is good. Santa Barbara is gorgeous and worth a day. Then EITHER Pismo Beach OR Cambria for a night. They are close together, no need to stay in both.

San Diego...
reviews: 30
9. Re: Please critique

If the kids want big thrill rides I would take them to Six Flags Magic Mountain, just north of LA. It's a little hot there in the summer though. San Diego is very crowded and expensive in the summer. It is much better in the spring or fall.

I would stay one night in Cambria and then one or two nights in the Monterey area. Here is a travelogue posted by another member of this forum. It takes a few minutes to load fully, but it will give you a very good idea of what there is to see and do along the coast between LA and SF. https://picasaweb.google.com/Mjneenan/Califo…

canada
10. Re: Please critique

After reading posts about the PCH it sounds a little nerve racking. Maybe we will drive up a ways then come back. Maybe head down towards San Deigo instead.