We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road trip LA to Vancouver, BC

Which California hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles, CA
reviews: 27
Road trip LA to Vancouver, BC

Must see Yosemite! as I drive my elderly mother from 405/101 in San Fernando Valley to her home in Vancouver, BC. We have 3 nights on the road and a moderately limited budget. Any advice on best road to take (not CA coast - done last year), places to stay or how to "do" Yosemite mid-July would be greatly appreciated. Thx.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
reviews: 75
1. Re: Road trip LA to Vancouver, BC

We'll be happy to help you on the Yosemite forum, but only 3 nights to get there? Yikes!

Yosemite: tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g61000-i315 Read the Top Questions in the upper right first, then post a new question.

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 2,442
2. Re: Road trip LA to Vancouver, BC

Three nights? You will be driving almost all the time.

The distance between Los Angeles and Vancouver is 1278 miles or about 21 hours of driving or 8 hours each day....

The fastest route would be Highway 5 for most of the drive.

Also, remember your passports. You will need them to cross into Canada.

Do you have an extra day to go to 4 nights so you can do Yosemite?

Los Angeles, CA
3. Re: Road trip LA to Vancouver, BC

Thanks for the quick response.

I can do 3 nights on the road, 4 days driving of 8-10 hours/day.

We'd like to avoid SFO and spend some time on the Oregon coast but must see Yosemite - whole reason for the drive. Is it something we can just drive through and enjoy mid-July? Or is there horrid traffic congestion? tolls? closed roads? I've heard all kinds of nasty rumours about it being a mistake in summer.

Anything you can share about this awesome area...appreciated.

Washington State
Destination Expert
4. Re: Road trip LA to Vancouver, BC

Of course Yosemite is a great choice for July. There will be thousands & thousands of folks there every day!

Yes, avoid San Francisco International Airport.

I'd suggest something like this... http://g.co/maps/nx5gr Into Yosemite via the South Entrance, exit via Tioga Pass, travel on the eastern side of the Sierra north, and eventually cross over to I-5 in Oregon.

In Yosemite, see Glacier Point and some of Yosemite Valley on the first day. Check for lodging in the Valley. Maybe stay in El Portal that night or all the way down to Mariposa, or maybe Groveland (Lodging ideas on the Yosemite forum.) Back toward the Valley and a scenic drive through Tuolumne Meadows & out Tioga Pass to Lee Vining. North on 395.

----------

Including some of the Oregon Coast along with the eastern Sierra is tough and will take some extra hours. Try playing with Google Maps ... using different towns along the way like this: http://g.co/maps/4qe2k Crossing states back & forth takes time, and some of the northern California roads are lovely but not very fast.

Here is one more idea, avoiding I-5 and the coast: http://g.co/maps/dkspv Lots of high mountain desert, some mountains, and some great scenery.

-------------

And once again, PLEASE visit the Yosemite NP forum page for the best info about this NP.

Los Angeles, CA
5. Re: Road trip LA to Vancouver, BC

Checking your routes now. Looks great. I love Google maps. Looks like I'll be adding about 5-8 hours to the 21 driving hours and that's more than worth it. We want a road trip to remember.

But do you know about that road on your route in or near Yosemite that says is a toll road? and maybe closed? Any knowledge of that?

Thanks for all this. Mucho appreciated.

Washington State
Destination Expert
6. Re: Road trip LA to Vancouver, BC

It's a 'toll road' because you must pay the National Park entrance fee of $20 to visit Yosemite. And the road closed in winter. Tioga Road is open now.

7. Re: Road trip LA to Vancouver, BC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:41 am, June 21, 2013