We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should I trust website-based directions?

Which California hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cambridge, MA
Should I trust website-based directions?

I am planning a road trip from Las Vegas to San Francisco via Death Valley (1 night) and Yosemite (2 nights) and I want to double check on the driving direction mapquest et al give me. (I don't know if mapquest is giving me the best directions, or just sticking to the main roads.) The plan is to stay at Furance Creek for a night and then travel to the south side of Yosemite...mapquest says that this is a 7 hour+ drive (320 miles) BUT it takes me all the way through Yosemite - surely there is a more direct route from Death Valley to the south side of the Yosemite?

Alternatively, if these directions are correct (ie have to travel through Yosemite from the east) - should I perhaps find accommodation on the east side and save myself an unnecessarily long drive just to get to the south side??

Any help would be hugley appreciated!

California
reviews: 12
1. Re: Should I trust website-based directions?

If you are staying in Fish Camp area you could go through Fresno to Yosemite via 41 but getting to Fresno from Death Valley is still 7.5 hours and then to Fish Camp is still an hour away.

The problem is that there is no sierra crossing south of Lee Vining so from Death Valley you have to drive south on 395 and 14 for a total of about 85 miles and then head north on 99 to fresno for more than 100 miles and then 41 to Yosemite.

Since the either way it's 7 hours you have to consider which 7 hours is more scenic and that, hands down, is northern 395 to Lee Vining and then through Yosem ite to the south.