Please use this for information only. Ask questions in a new post so readers/posters can address you individually.
Feel free to add links (new, changes, updates), ideas, and other fun things to do.
Just an hour (or so) drive from Anchorage; it's all Alaska, yet without the city (& I love the city of Anchorage). The drive south (along Turnagain Arm) is one of the most scenic drives in North America. I've listed a bunch of things to do below (with links). I find Byron Glacier & the hand tram at Winner Creek especially good "value" for effort.
Google map link:
Turnagain Arm drive:
- scenery, hiking, Dall sheep, mountain goats, tidal bore, beluga whales, salmon fishing
- hiking, mining, dining, accommodations, glacier dog sledding
- hiking, glaciers, camping, salmon viewing
- hiking, day cruising, glaciers, kayaking
- AK Wildlife Conservation Center (wildlife)
- Crow Creek Mine (historic and pan for gold)
- Crow Pass (adventurous hike with great mountain scenery, glaciers, and wildlife)
- Winner Creek Trail (awesome hand tram & gorge)
www.alaskahikesearch.com/Hikes/Winner.htm (start from the "mine" end)
- Byron Glacier hike/walk (play on the toe of a glacier - keep a plastic shopping bag available for a sled)
- Portage Glacier cruise/boat ride
- Begich Boggs Visitor Center
- Trail of Blue Ice (Williwaw/Portage)
- Williwaw Salmon viewing (in season)
- Whittier Tunnel
- Portage Pass hike (Whittier side of the tunnel)