We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alaska Marine Ferry

Which Alaska hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle
reviews: 1
Alaska Marine Ferry

We are planning a trip north from Seattle this August; we'll be taking the Port Hardy to Prince Rupert BC Ferry and then spend time on Haida Gwaii. Having made it all the way to Prince Rupert, we'd like to do at least a portion of the ferry heading north from there. Which raises a number of questions:

1) Simple one: Is there a place to leave a car in Prince Rupert?

2) What is a good compromise between time and beauty? That is, are there points north of Prince Rupert that you would say for sure don't miss? What will be missed if we hold that (round trip) north of Prince Rupert to only 2 or 3 days?

3) I'll look at the schedules myself but in general, can one get off and back on in any of the stopping points for the ferry and is there something special in particular people would put on a 'do not miss' list?

Just starting to find out more but I always value the input and opinions that people kindly share on TripAdvisor.

Greater Sydney...
reviews: 32
1. Re: Alaska Marine Ferry

Both Haida Gwaii and Prince Rupert are in BC so I suggest you post this question there as you have with your driving question.

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
reviews: 28
2. Re: Alaska Marine Ferry

Yes, you can get on and off the ferries at any of the ports you want......most often the ferry you arrive on will be leaving within a couple of hours, though, so you will need to consult the ferry schedule to find which sailings will fit with your itinerary...... http://www.dot.state.ak.us/amhs/

With only 2 or 3 days you could probably only get to Ketchikan and back, though.......In my opinion the scenery gets much better the farther north you go and would suggest you add more time for a better trip......figure out what activities are available in each port that would be "must sees" for you and include ferry stops and stays in those locations........

Adirondack, New York
reviews: 89
3. Re: Alaska Marine Ferry

If you have only 2-3 days for a round trip after you get to Prince Rupert then schedule of the ferry could be a problem and I agree there is more beauty farther north you get on this ferry. You really don't have time for much more than a ferry ride. Consider a short drive from Prince Rupert to Stewart, BC/ Hyder, AK and spending a couple of days there. Stewart is very unique and Hyder is a tiny but fascinating community in Alaska. Besides, in August you could spend time at the Fish Creek Wildlife Observation Site and watch bears fishing for salmon. tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28923-i349-k49719…

4. Re: Alaska Marine Ferry

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, February 12, 2014