We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

FIRST TIME POSTERS Please read this before posting

Which Alaska hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
reviews: 24
FIRST TIME POSTERS Please read this before posting

We get a lot of requests from people saying "we are going to be in Alaska and can you help us?" In order to give you the best assistance, we need to know who "we" is and if it involves children, what are their ages.

We also get a lot of requests regarding the "best" excursions to do either on a land tour or on a cruise. What might be "best" to one person holds absolutely no interest to another. So please give us an idea of your interests. Hiking, wildlife viewing, photography, fishing, native history, glaciers, adventure activities like rafting or glacier hiking, museums, etc.

If you have specific dates or timeframe, mention that. Summer? Two weeks? This year or next? Are you willing to rent a car or do you want to rely totally on other forms of transportation?

If you already have flights booked, it would really help to know the date and time of arrival as well as the date and time of departure (and the city arriving into/out of if not clear from your post). If you leave at 9am the last day you might end up with a totally different itinerary than if you left at 11pm the same evening.

The more details you can give initially, the easier and quicker and more accurate the answers will be.

Thanks for helping us to help you!

Edited: 10:50 pm, January 11, 2013
77 replies to this topic
Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
reviews: 129
1. Re: FIRST TIME POSTERS Please read this before posting

I'm going to bump this every day!

:)

Edited: 11:36 pm, January 11, 2013
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
reviews: 26
2. Re: FIRST TIME POSTERS Please read this before posting

LOL good luck with that. I'm certain 99% of posters (especially first timers on TA) just come here to post their question, seeking info specific to their trip.

Greater Sydney...
reviews: 32
3. Re: FIRST TIME POSTERS Please read this before posting

It needs to be made a sticky, and I am sure that is John's intention, although most people still tend not to read them.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
4. Re: FIRST TIME POSTERS Please read this before posting

Yeah . . . like this one that's been there for months/years . . . tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28923-i349-k46756… .

People don't read (obviously) as most of what John/FTI is saying is already posted in the sticky at the top of the AK Forum.

England, United...
reviews: 20
5. Re: FIRST TIME POSTERS Please read this before posting

Bumping this up!

Issaquah, Washington
reviews: 10
6. Re: FIRST TIME POSTERS Please read this before posting

to keep it on page 1

Adirondack, New York
reviews: 89
7. Re: FIRST TIME POSTERS Please read this before posting

ttt

Edited: 5:19 pm, January 16, 2013
Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
reviews: 31
8. Re: FIRST TIME POSTERS Please read this before posting

Great info - thanks fti! :)

new york
reviews: 12
9. Re: FIRST TIME POSTERS Please read this before posting

I'm researching a trip via cruise, to Alaska in the summer, I see many cruises that show a few different paths. We are a family of 5, me and my wife are in our 50's and three sons 22,24,26. Budget is an issue since we also have to travel from New York(Newark airport). We are interested in glacier hikes, Mt. Mc Kinley, and possibly dog sledding. The cruise need not be formal more interested in decent food and informal atmosphere. Wife would like to leave from Vancouver to for excursion to Victoria. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
10. Re: FIRST TIME POSTERS Please read this before posting

Eurotrip55 . . . you would be better served to delete you post on this "sticky message" and repost your question in your own thread for response.

Consider this post/thread here as a PSA of sorts, not really for information seeking.

Reply to: FIRST TIME POSTERS Please read this before posting
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted