We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Look at the Top Questions on the right before posting,

Which Alaska hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chugiak, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Alaska
reviews: 12
Look at the Top Questions on the right before posting,

Before you create a new thread asking about the best hikes in Denali, what to wear in Alaska, or what the 'must do' activities are, please look in the Top Questions on the right side of each forum. Many times these questions have already been answered and while the majority of the Top Questions are in the main Alaska forum, there are more specific ones in the other forums (such as the Denali National Park forum).

Also, be sure to look at the Trip Reports under Top Questions to read about what activities and locations will appeal to you. Once you have done some reading, come back around and ask as many specific questions as you need to- we just ask that you do some basic research first.

The 'Search in' can be used to search each forum for specific information as well.

Try to keep as many of the questions in the same thread as possible, so we have all the info in one place. It makes a difference on what answers you get to 'should I stay two or three nights in Seward' when we already know that you are only going to be in Alaska 7 days.

Please provide us with specific information- the dates and times you arrive and leave Alaska; ages, activity level, and interests of all the people traveling in your group; preferred methods of travel and lodging; and an idea of your budget if possible.

The Destination Experts and long-time forum helpers have gone to a lot of trouble to make life easier for you when you are looking for information. Please make life easier for us by not making us answer the same questions again and again. That will also help you when there are specific questions you need answered since we'll have more time to help you with what isn't already in the forum.

Edited: 9:01 pm, July 25, 2011
19 replies to this topic
Chugiak, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Alaska
1. Re: Look at the Top Questions on the right before posting,

Folks, I've requested this become a Sticky to the TA mods so more people will hopefully notice it and have more info on how the forums work when they first arrive at TA.

2. Re: Look at the Top Questions on the right before posting,

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 7:35 am, April 06, 2014
Edited: 7:35 am, April 06, 2014

MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
reviews: 24
3. Re: Look at the Top Questions on the right before posting,

We can only hope that people will try to do as you suggested. But honestly, I have little hope. People give so little info about their trip, make us guess who is traveling, ages of kids, etc, etc. Sometimes I just throw up my hands and say, "That is all the time and energy I can expend helping that poster." And I know I am not the only one with that feeling sometimes. So they get cheated on advice due to their own unclear posts and/or lack of details.

But we can hope eternal, can't we?!?

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
reviews: 29
4. Re: Look at the Top Questions on the right before posting,

I will admit to being in the same boat as the rest of you on trying to help others who have done little to nothing to help themselves. I figure if I have to spend my time to look something up to pass on to someone else, they should be doing that themselves.

And those who open new threads with a question that would have been better answered in the context of a week or month's worth of dialogue, really get me. I refuse to research their past posting history to help put "today's question" in context. God Bless those of you who I know take that much time to help them.

Chugiak, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Alaska
5. Re: Look at the Top Questions on the right before posting,

Hope does spring eternal for me. :)

And I figure at the very least, it puts the info somewhere easy for me to copy and paste into a new thread when someone posts without enough info for us to help. Copy and paste from the sticky and tada! Done. Easier than installing a macro on my computers that inserts it or typing out the same questions over and over.

Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
reviews: 24
6. Re: Look at the Top Questions on the right before posting,

I like the idea of having a place to copy and paste from. It also gives a great place to link to.

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
reviews: 138
7. Re: Look at the Top Questions on the right before posting,

Hey Spacefry,

I'm a husband I can handle the "picking on" (I usually deserve it because I usually have just pulled one foot out of my mouth as I'm inserting the other!).

Just pulled into Vanderhoof, BC.

Can someone tell me if I can get to Anchorage from here?

:)

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
reviews: 29
8. Re: Look at the Top Questions on the right before posting,

Take the train to Juneau, Scott.......then drive the Marine Highway to Fairbanks.......from there to Anchorage it's only a 2 hour drive..... :-)

Kudos, Alaskantiger for the sticky.......very handy !

Edited: 10:05 am, July 31, 2011
9. Re: Look at the Top Questions on the right before posting,

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 10:24 pm, January 28, 2012
Edited: 10:24 pm, January 28, 2012

Vinemont
reviews: 18
10. Re: Look at the Top Questions on the right before posting,

Be aware that there is no "Top Questions on the right " in the TripAdvisor iPad app.

Reply to: Look at the Top Questions on the right before posting,
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted