We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling from Dallas to Orlando Christmas 2013

Sydney Australia
reviews: 3
Travelling from Dallas to Orlando Christmas 2013

We are an extended family (grandparents down to 2 families of our children and grandchildren) flying into Dallas from Australia on 6th Dec 2013. We plan to drive across to Orlando without having to rush (the youngest is 2) Would someone please suggest stops for us. Ive read Vicksburg in answers to similar posts to this and New Orleans is a must, I think. Are there any opinions out there about Tallahassee, Mobile, Wakulla Springs, as child friendly stops? Are there any attractions to show the children along the way? Any info would be most appreciated.

Tyler, Texas
reviews: 69
1. Re: Travelling from Dallas to Orlando Christmas 2013

lets start a conversation

What time are you leaving Dallas? B&B or hotels?

Edited: 11:03 am, March 20, 2013
Tyler, Texas
2. Re: Travelling from Dallas to Orlando Christmas 2013

Natchitoches La is an interesting town on the river..they have Christmas lights..lots of B&B downtown...On I49..so you would go Dallas..Shreveport, Lafayette I10)..

Just east of Lafayette is the little town of Breaux Bridge see http://www.countrycharmbandb.org/.. We have stayed here under differnt owners.. Cajun food downtown Cafe des Amis and Chez Jaqueline..both are fabulous

I don't care for Vickburg

Spanish Fort Al is a good stop..things to do in Mobile on causeway.. USS Alabama

Tallahassee would be a good overnight stop

If you wanted a big stop you could go south of !10 to the beaches..Destin/Sandestin.. My favorite is Grayton Beach

How many night do you want to be on the road..16--20 hour trip?

Sydney Australia
3. Re: Travelling from Dallas to Orlando Christmas 2013

We will be leaving Dallas mid morning - takes that long to get 5 children ready to travel. Motels are the preferred option because the children can be shared around. It is difficult for the family with 4 children to get a room to accommodate them together, so we (the grandparents) take a couple in with us.

Sydney Australia
4. Re: Travelling from Dallas to Orlando Christmas 2013

We will have to travel fairly slowly with quite a few stops - we want this to be fun for the children, not an ordeal.

They do travel well but love to get out for a run around. Im thinking it might be at least 2 overnight stops along the way with perhaps a couple of nights in New Orleans.

What do you think?

Tyler, Texas
5. Re: Travelling from Dallas to Orlando Christmas 2013

We just spent a night in New Orleans at the Gentry House...would be a good spot for your party. We went the Insectarium

So I would do Dallas, Natchitoches, New Orleans Tallahassee( or the coast there) Orlando

Tyler, Texas
6. Re: Travelling from Dallas to Orlando Christmas 2013

Also post this on

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i12567-Road_Tri…

You are sure to get some different ideas here

7. Re: Travelling from Dallas to Orlando Christmas 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, March 22, 2014