We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation between Santa Clara and Trinidad

Kitchener, Canada
reviews: 15
Transportation between Santa Clara and Trinidad

We are planning to visit Trinidad for the 1st. week of February 2014, landing at Santa Clara.

Any current advice on tranportation between Santa Clara and Trinidad would be appreciated.

I believe our flight will not arrive in time to get a bus the same day and have seen conflicting and perhaps out of date estimates of pricing and availabilty of taxi service.

I will likely have more options for the return trip and time to evaluate what is on offer in Trinidad but again any tips are more than welcome.

Thanks

23 replies to this topic
reviews: 8
1. Re: Transportation between Santa Clara and Trinidad

You mean you are flying into Santa Clara and require transport to Trinidad or are you accomodated elsewhere by chance?

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
reviews: 35
2. Re: Transportation between Santa Clara and Trinidad

The Viazul bus leaves Santa Clara at 11.55am and arrives in Trinidad at 15.00

Kitchener, Canada
3. Re: Transportation between Santa Clara and Trinidad

We would be flying into Santa Clara Airport, estimated arrival 1:22pm (plus custom clearance etc.) and would therefore miss the bus in town that leave for Trinidad at 11:30am.

Staying in a Santa Clara Casa for the night and leaving by bus the next morning would presumably be one option.

Kitchener, Canada
4. Re: Transportation between Santa Clara and Trinidad

I now have an offer from the Casa where we will be staying to send a taxi from Trinidad to pick us up for 60 CUC (and the same for the return trip).

I think this sounds like a fairly reasonable price and will probably take it.

Being picked up right at the airport by someone who knows the exact destination will be reassuring.

I may have to evaluate the car and the route on the way down to decide if I am comfortable relying on the same service for the return trip. Don't want to miss our return flight due to a breakdown or road closure, much as I wouldn't mind staying in warm Cuba for as long as I can before returning to a Canadian winter.

If we have any concerns we may come back to Santa Clara the day before and stay in a Casa overnight so that we only have a short distance to the Airport the next day.

If this thread is still open when we make the trip I will post how it worked out if anyone is interested.

Kitchener, Ontario
reviews: 32
5. Re: Transportation between Santa Clara and Trinidad

Malcolm S , it's about a 3 hour trip... so 60 is more then fair.. I found the Taxi's a bit steep in Trinidad, when I was there last year , then other places I have been to.. You'll probably taking Hwy 1 ( boring ) till the cut off for Sancti Spiritus ( get to see the outskirts of it ) down to Trinidad... Nice drive... Enjoy ! PS , probably would like to take that bike down with you , like I would ... ;)

Edited: 6:14 pm, October 07, 2013
Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
reviews: 35
6. Re: Transportation between Santa Clara and Trinidad

I agree. 60 CUC is a very reasonable price for that distance.

Kitchener, Canada
7. Re: Transportation between Santa Clara and Trinidad

Thanks for verifying that I am correct that 60 cuc seems a very reasonable price. We have only visited Cuba once before staying recently in Havana (in a Hotel on package deal with ground transport included) and are not at all sure what we should be paying for this type of journey and staying in a Casa. As it looks like we would otherwise have to take a taxi into Santa Clara anyway and then pay bus fare to Trinidad for each of us it does seem well worth 60 cuc for the convenience and peace of mind knowing we have our ride already worked out. Also I wouldn't be in a strong bargaining position negotiating a price at the Airport as I understand there may not be many taxis there and they would know I need the ride and don't have many options.

In response to Justliving. Yes I would like to take my bike (Triumph Sprint ST). The road through the mountain looks especially interesting on a map at least with lots of fun turns. I am guessing the road conditions might not be the best for my particular bike though. Maybe an adventure style bike with longer travel suspension would be more suitable.

It would be fun to ride one of the bike and sidecar combos while I'm there but I don't know that I'll have much luck with that as I think you can only rent scooters. Thought I might take a couple of my older helmets with me and give them away. The helmets most are wearing there look more like baseball batting helmets. Maybe I can get a ride in a Russian Ural sidecar in exchange for a decent helmet.

Kitchener, Ontario
reviews: 32
8. Re: Transportation between Santa Clara and Trinidad

Yeah street bikes aren't the best too take down, if you want to travel the unknown ... I have a Suzuki Intruder 1500.. nice and comfortable.. but I would rather have an enduro down there.. that way , you can get to alot of out of the way places.. Yes that road between Santa Clara and Trinidad, does look nice on the map.. but I haven't heard many people talk about it, so I would say unless you had time and nerve ( LOL ) stay off of it... pity.. They would love you , if you took some good helmets down with you .. sure they would even let you drive the bike... lots of different helmets there.. hardhats, like you said batting caps and I once seen a guy , with a pot on his head... ;) Casa's are good way to be in the central of things... Hopeful you picked a nice one , hope you checked out to see if they had a toliet seat ! ;)

East Coast
reviews: 2
9. Re: Transportation between Santa Clara and Trinidad

I believe there is a Viazul bus that leaves Santa Clara for Trinidad around 5:00 PM. At least there was 2 years ago. Also for the return trip there was a Viazul bus that left Trinidad around 8:00 AM for Santa Clara.

Regina, Canada
10. Re: Transportation between Santa Clara and Trinidad

Hello Malcolm,

I and my husband live in Trinidad from November until April, then are back in Saskatchewan for the summer. I have taken the rout from Santa Clara (airport) to Trinidad many times. We usually have our friend, Vladamir, who has a big reliable 55 Ford, pick us up and take us directly through the mountains to Trinidad. It takes about 2 hours and we pay him $60. Sometimes we stop at a coffee farm and buy some freshly roasted coffee beans, and sometimes we stop at a small river where there is a confectionary store with cold drinks. The road has been improved lately, and is paved most of the way. If you are biking, I would suggest that the highway through Sancti Spiritus would be the easier route, and is very scenic, and historical.

Enjoy your travels!

By the way, we will be going back soon to have our new Casa Almara licensed.

Edited: 12:26 am, October 25, 2013
Reply to: Transportation between Santa Clara and Trinidad
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted