We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Info on Queen Charlotte Track unaided???

Which Picton hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
auckland
reviews: 34
Info on Queen Charlotte Track unaided???

Hello,

my husband and I are wanting to do the queen charlotte track unaided next March, e.g. we want to carry all our own gear walk from one end to the other and camp the evenings.

Just wanting to hear from anyone else who has done this and any advise that they may have.

I know that there are boats that do bag drop offs and lots of nice accomadation along the way, but we are looking at this both as a scenic trip as well as making it some what physically challenging.

We are planning on doing the trip over three days staying at Camp bay and Cowshed bay doc camp sites.

so if anyone has stayed at either of these sites or has any helpful tints, i would appreciate to hear from you.

regards Sara

Nelson, New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
reviews: 45
1. Re: Info on Queen Charlotte Track unaided???

Hi Sara

I haven't been to either but others have left reviews rankers.co.nz/experiences/2783-Cowshed_Bay_C…

There is also a review for Camp Bay which you can Google.

Perhaps afterwards post some reviews so other travellers can be aided by your experiences.

You have a great trip planned, enjoy :)

Christchurch, New...
reviews: 26
2. Re: Info on Queen Charlotte Track unaided???

I did this some years ago with my sister and a friend. We took our time and spent 5 nights. On day one we drove up from Chch (in fact i think our parents drove us as we didn't have licences yet), took the boat to Ship Cove, and walked to Schoolhouse Bay. Then we spent one night at each of Camp Bay, Bay of Many Coves Saddle, Cowshed Bay, and Davies Bay. Davies Bay was only 30 minutes from Anakiwa, and we walked out and travelled back to Chch on day 6. Made for leisurely walking, but a lot of food to carry.

It is a very well formed track and a great intro to tramping if you have not done any before. However even though the walking is easy, there is a bit of a climb and it is a long day from Camp Bay to Cowshed Bay. You will be fine if you have done a bit of training prior!

All the campsites were good.

Schoolhouse Bay was my favourite (check out the link to my website below; my sister was standing outside the tent with her sprained ankle when she took the first photo at the bottom of the page).

Camp Bay was at low tide when we arrived and the bay was a not-so-appealing mudflat, but the campsite was nicely laid out with different grassy areas separated by bush.

Cowshed Bay campsite has a road running through it and it is not that big, but it is also nice and grassy and there are trees for shelter. It is a short walk up the road to the shop and hotel at Portage.

We split the day from Camp Bay to Portage/Cowshed Bay by staying at Bay of Many Coves Saddle Campsite; a night high on the hill with views down over the Sounds was a nice change to the waterside campsites.

None of the campsites provide showers and you will need to carry your own gas cooker, pots, food etc. (you could restock at Portage, but the shop is pretty limited).

christinayls.webng.com/Queen_Charlotte.html

If you carry your own gear you will get some funny looks from day trippers :-)

Wherever you stay, it is a great trip, enjoy!

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Macau
reviews: 171
3. Re: Info on Queen Charlotte Track unaided???

I did QCT the easy way, staying in B&Bs/cabins/dorms, but for everyone the water taxi has a "deal", which was $99 when i did it 2-3 years ago. This is considered a return trip from Picton to Ships Cove, but they give you a pile of luggage labels and when you walk, they carry your pack. In my case my tramping partner bailed on me after 3 days so she only walked from Ships Cove to Punga Cove & water taxied out, no extra cost.

new zealand
reviews: 279
4. Re: Info on Queen Charlotte Track unaided???

Live locally and done the track a few times. Very easy to do unaided. Get a boat to Ship Cove, may even encounter dolphins there. Actually

resolution Bay is one of our favourite places to stay in the rustic sites, but it only 40 mins from Ship cove. Lots of places to stay from backpackers, resorts etc. Punga cover is really great backpackers and the bonus of pizzas on the jetty in the evening and use of kayaks etc. I love mistletoe bay but got bed bugs last night we went so Id commend lochmara. Awesome quirky art, kayaks, etc.

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 91
5. Re: Info on Queen Charlotte Track unaided???

sorry if this question has been asked before but where do I get info on the ferry that moves your luggage from one place to another for the duration of the walk?

Nelson, New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
reviews: 45
6. Re: Info on Queen Charlotte Track unaided???

There are a number of water taxis to choose from - Google for details - this will get you started

www.queencharlottetrack.co.nz/transport/

http://www.boatrides.co.nz/

http://pictonwatertaxis.co.nz/

plus this www.qctrack.co.nz/trackinfo/questions.asp

happy planning :)

7. Re: Info on Queen Charlotte Track unaided???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, November 11, 2013