We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lauterbrunen-Murren-Schilthorn

Which Lauterbrunnen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore
reviews: 13
Lauterbrunen-Murren-Schilthorn

Hi all, will be planning a day trip from Wengen to Lauterbrunen-Murren-Schilthorn.

At Lauterbrunen, I hope to see the Trummelbach Falls and Staubbach Falls. Then a walk at Murren and then up to Schilthorn. Can anyone advise me how this route can be done to see all of the above? Many thanks!

W. Palm Beach, FL
Destination Expert
for Murren, Interlaken, Bernese Oberland
reviews: 4
11. Re: Lauterbrunen-Murren-Schilthorn

The bus stops at the the Stechelberg cablecar station. You can either take the bus or walk to the Trummelbach Falls. It's a very short distance. From the trummelbach falls again you have the choice of either walking or taking the bus back into Lauterbrunnen. The footpath goes right past the Staubach Falls. The bus does not.

Singapore
12. Re: Lauterbrunen-Murren-Schilthorn

Hi mountaintopper,

On a return trip from Schithorn, do I take the same cable car down as when I went up? Just that this time it stops at Stechelberg rather than Grutschalp? The bus from Stechelberg to Trummelbach, does it have any number or sign on it? From Trummelbach falls back to the railway station, is it straight forward as to follow the sign. Roughly how long will it take to hike back? Many thanks for taking your time to ans my questions :)

Singapore
13. Re: Lauterbrunen-Murren-Schilthorn

I also read that the circular trip of Lauterbrunnen- Grutschalp- Murren- Schilthorn- Stechelberg cost CHF 94.80 and CHF 37 with Swiss Pass. Does HFC covers this route too?

Wimborne Minster...
Destination Expert
for Lugano
reviews: 2
14. Re: Lauterbrunen-Murren-Schilthorn

schilthorn.ch/en/…

W. Palm Beach, FL
Destination Expert
for Murren, Interlaken, Bernese Oberland
reviews: 4
15. Re: Lauterbrunen-Murren-Schilthorn

The cablecars are two different ones. When you go up you use the BLM cablecar that departs from the station directly across the street from the Lauterbrunnen train station. It will take you up to Grutchalp where you will transfer to a small train for the ride into Murren. (or you can walk to Murren along a beautiful footpath). You will arrive in Murren at the train station which is at the northern end of the village. You walk through the village to the south end of the village to the Schilthornbahn station where you catch the Schilthornbahn cablecar for the ride up to the Schilthorn and back. Once you arrive back in Murren from your Schilthorn trip you connect to another part of the Schilthornbahn cable system, in the same station, that takes you down to Gimmelwald where you transfer cars for the rest of the cablecar journey down to the valley station at Stechelberg. Stechelberg is at the southern end of the Lauterbrunnen valley. From there you can either take the post bus or walk over to the Trummelbach Falls. It's not far. Then when you are done you can get back on the bus or walk the rest of the way back to Lauterbrunnen.

16. Re: Lauterbrunen-Murren-Schilthorn

The cable car at Lauterbrunnen takes you straight up to the Grutschalp train station. From Wengen you can look directly across the valley at it. Murren is a couple of miles further along and is the mid-point of the 4 stage Schilthorn Cable Car. So it is 2 cable cars up but 4 cable cars DOWN all the way to Stechelberg. It is worth pointing out you can check the connecting times of the bus (which stops just outside the stechelberg base station) whilst in Murren. The valley from Stechelberg to Lauterbrunnen is flat and easy hiking with great views of the waterfalls if you choose to walk. Yes the 50% discount applies for the HFC for this excursion.

Singapore
17. Re: Lauterbrunen-Murren-Schilthorn

Thanks to both mountaintopper and JoeDevlin for your replies.

Another question is, do we usually pay the full trip fare from the first stop eg: cable to Grutschalp? Or do we pay point by point. Means one fare for the cable to Grutschalp then anothe fare for the train station to Murren then cable to Schilthorn?

18. Re: Lauterbrunen-Murren-Schilthorn

It has been a while but I imagine if you explain what trip you are taking to the tellers in the tourist office at Wengen station they will calculate the cost for you depending on your pass etc. Not wishing to confuse you further but you should have a look at the regional rail passes on www.swisspasses.com. They give lots of detail and validity maps for each pass. For example if you are in the Berner Oberland this June, September or October they offer Buy-one-get-one-free 7 day Berner Oberland pass (3 days unlimited, 4 days half fare). They also sell a 6 day Jungfrau region. Both these passes include travel up to Murren and a new 3 Day VIP Jungfrau pass which includes a trip up the Jungfraujoch( but not travel up to Murren) So they all have pros and cons.

Singapore
19. Re: Lauterbrunen-Murren-Schilthorn

Hi JoeDevlin, Ic.. I am considering either getting the HFC or 8 days swiss pass. Still doing my maths currently. So I am wondering where's the point I will pay for the circular trip to Schilthorn- to and back to Wengen. Whether is there only 1 payment for the circular trip or pay in sequence.

20. Re: Lauterbrunen-Murren-Schilthorn

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, October 30, 2012