We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling from Athens to Kythira via Monemvasia

Which Monemvasia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Travelling from Athens to Kythira via Monemvasia

Hello,

I am trying to put together an itinerary to travel to Kythira (to see friends for 5-6 days) from Athens with my wife and would greatly appreciate some advice. Initially we were thinking of driving from Athens to Monemvasia over a 5 days, then catching the ferry to Kythira staying 5 days and flying back to Athens. The only problem is that there is nowhere to drop the car in the South East Peloponnese...

Our travel dates are fixed. we arrive at 21:30 in Athens on 25th August and fly out again on 6th September at 21:20.

if we cant drop the car anywhere near Monemvasia then our initial itineray might be:

25th land Athens ~ 9:30pm, pick up hire car and drive to Loutraki, (seen in previous posts..)

26th Drive to Napflio via Corinth canal and spend 2 nights, visit Mycenae and other local attractions.

28th drive down to Monemvasia spend 2 nights.

30th catch ferry from Monemvasia to Kythira or drive to Neapoli and catch ferry, spend 6 nights with friends and exploring the island.

4th Sept catch ferry back to Neapoli and drive back up towards Athens, spending a night somewhere interesting on the way back.

5th Sept back to Athens, take a look at Acropolis etc, then to airport for evening flight.

My questions are:

We are considering driving from Monemvasia to Kalamata so that we can drop off the car there and catch the ferry back to Kythira on the 1st Sept. is this worth doing and staying somewhere for a night on the way? the reason to do this is so we can drop the car in Kalamata, catch the ferry and then fly straight back from Kythira to Athens on the evening of the 5th Sept.

My other question is whether there is any sense in getting the bus down to Monemvasia, after dropping the car either back in Athens or in Napflio again so that we can fly back from Kythira.

Any help would be much appreciated as we really want to make the most of our time in Greece.

Many thanks,

Tim

The options so far involve:

1. flying to Kythira on the 26th at 11am then getting the ferry to Kalamata on 31st and driving back through the Peloponesse to Athens, not preferred due to having to spend a night between flights

Molaoi, Greece
Destination Expert
for Naxos, Peloponnese
reviews: 23
1. Re: Travelling from Athens to Kythira via Monemvasia

Have you actually investigated the cost of dropping the car at a different location from the one where you picked it up? Greece is not London and drop offs car be extremely expensive if you can arrange them at all. That said, if you can arrange a drop in Kalamata, that would seem to be the most sensible option.

Any of the options you propose can be done but some of them are very time consuming.

London, United...
2. Re: Travelling from Athens to Kythira via Monemvasia

Hi Philhellene, thanks for replying. I think you are right about drop off charges, it is a shame as we really want to see Monemvasia. it seems like we will have to return the car to Athens.

My wife also really wants to go to Olympia Achea. do you think it is a worthwhile trip to go from Napflio to Olympia stay the night somewhere and then return to Athens the next day? is there anything else good to see on the way there? This would be instead of going to Monemvasia, we would probably fly to Kythira and back if we did this.

Tim

Molaoi, Greece
Destination Expert
for Naxos, Peloponnese
3. Re: Travelling from Athens to Kythira via Monemvasia

It really depends on your preference. Both Monemvasia and Olympia are remarkable sites and both would really require an overnight stop to do them justice if travelling from a distance. I've a particular affection for Monemvasia which is just down the road from me and getting there from Nafplio can involve a wonderful scenic drive down the coast to Leonidio and over the mountain to Skala. You could go there directly from Athens or return to Athens from there. Driving time is about four hours.

London, United...
4. Re: Travelling from Athens to Kythira via Monemvasia

Yes I think we are definitely going to drive to Monemvasia, do you think it is possible for us to get to Olympia as well in 6 days? We really want to visit Athens, Napflio, Monemvasia and Olympia but are not sure whether this is possible. We have booked a flight from Athens to Kythira on the 31st August so we have 6 nights.

currently we are thinking:

25th Land and stay in Athens

26th Explore Athens stay a second night

27th drive to Napfio via Corinth

28th explore Mycenae stay in Napflio

29th drive to Monemvasia

30th explore monemvasia

31st drive back to Athens and catch a flight to Kythira.

is there any way to squeeze a visit to Olympia into this, or should we just take it easy, how far from Napflio is it to Olympia? or should we do it on the way back from Monemvasia?

Any help is appreciated.

Molaoi, Greece
Destination Expert
for Naxos, Peloponnese
5. Re: Travelling from Athens to Kythira via Monemvasia

Yes, you could fit in Olympia from Nafplio. It's under two and a half hours and the best route is via Argos and Vitina on good roads all the way. If you go that way, you will take the motorway south and leave it at the Nestani turn off after three tunnels. I mention this because I'm not sure if Vitina is signposted on the way south.

You can also easily fit in Mycenae on your way to Nafplio as you practically pass the site.

Monemvasia doesn't need a huge amount of time as it's a compact place. Try to take the walk up to the top of the rock while you're there if it's not too hot. There's not a lot up there apart from the church of Agia Sofia but it's worth it for the views especially if it's a clear day when you can see as far as Milos and Sifnos in the Cyclades islands.

6. Re: Travelling from Athens to Kythira via Monemvasia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, August 23, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Monemvasia