We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip to Victkovice

Which Vitkovice hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle
reviews: 3
Trip to Victkovice

My Great Grandparents and Grandparents settled in Wickowitz, Austria in the mid 1800's. My great Grandfather, Anton Mueller owned the only grocery store. The village name was changed

to Vitkovice, after the occupation. I am going back to village to try and locate the cemetery where all my relatives are buried and see the historical records of the village. I have located all their birth and death records.

What is the oldest section of the village and who should I contact to help me with my search. I will be driving in from Prague. I would appreciate any direction I can get from any source.

Thank you!

4 replies to this topic
Prague, Czech...
reviews: 22
1. Re: Trip to Victkovice

I know Vitkovice - part of Ostrava, Vitkovice - a village in Krkonoše. Could you describe better location? Best regards.

Edited: 1:36 pm, October 09, 2013
Cookham Dean...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
2. Re: Trip to Victkovice

yes, Hana is right, hard to advise on the basis of your post

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
reviews: 8
3. Re: Trip to Victkovice

I would hazard a guess that it is the village in the Krkonoše as the other one has always been a place of heavy industry.

In the village this is the cemetery (Hřbitov) http://goo.gl/maps/xrdvH - you can explore using streetmap. It is a very small place and looks quite pleasant.

Prague, Czech...
reviews: 22
4. Re: Trip to Victkovice

Both places have the same German translation and according to my experience, both of them could be a places of the emigration abroad in 19th. century. Ostrava, industrial town, the life wasn´t easy there.Vítkovice in Krkonoše is very small village and conditions of the life there were not easy too. Austria-Hungary was a big state. Village or the city representants are the best to contact. Old records ( before 1948 ) are now in a big district archives, some of them can be digital and seen on your computer. If we know exactly which Vítkovice you mean, the help can be easier. Best regards from Czech Republic!

Reply to: Trip to Victkovice
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Vitkovice
Recent Conversations