We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From Riga to Vilnius by bus - any advice or suggestions

Which Riga hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
dublin
reviews: 43
From Riga to Vilnius by bus - any advice or suggestions

Hi

I am planning a trip from Tallinn to Riga, and then from Riga to Vilnius by bus this summer.

I am wondering would anyone know about buses between Riga and Vilnius - how long the bus takes, and how much it costs.

Also - is it possible to arrive at Riga bus station, and buy a ticket there for the next bus, or do they have to be booked in advance.

I plan to spend 2 days in Riga, 2 days in vilnius and 1 day in Tallinn

Thanks for any advice or suggestions.

Mike

Riga
Destination Expert
for Riga, Jurmala
reviews: 30
1. Re: From Riga to Vilnius by bus - any advice or suggestions

For the prices and timetables check www.eurolines.lv and www.ecolines.lv

The bus to Vilnius takes approx.5 hours. I would book online in advance, but there is a chance that you can buy tickets at the station, of course.

Almaty, Kazakhstan
reviews: 31
2. Re: From Riga to Vilnius by bus - any advice or suggestions

There's lots of buses from Riga to Vilnius so you'll always be able to just turn up at the station and buy tickets there, though buying online may be a less stressful option.

Co. Wicklow, Ireland
reviews: 7
3. Re: From Riga to Vilnius by bus - any advice or suggestions

Howya Mike!

We did Tallinn-Riga and Riga-Vilnius with Eurolines last summer.

Both journeys are around 4.5 hours. If I recall correctly the tickets were about €18 each and you can book online and print your ticket at eurolines.ee

I have to say that they were without doubt the BEST bus journeys we ever had! The coaches are really comfortable, air conditioned and they show a video but it is not intrusive. The seats are reclining and you can move the outer seat out a bit to give more arm-room. There's a free coffee machine. AND (and this is the best bit!) a WORKING TOILET!!! - very clean too ;-)

They made two stops (again if my memory serves me right). They're great and were not too crowded even in mid-July.

Just one more thing - try to spend more than a day in Tallinn. It's very beautiful and there are like two parts to it - two old towns if you like and both are well worth seeing. We liked Tallinn the best out of the three.

Anywhos enjoy and if you have any more questions you're in the right place here!

Kate x

dublin
4. Re: From Riga to Vilnius by bus - any advice or suggestions

Hi. Cool. Thanks Kate for all that information. And yes - I agree with you about Tallinn being a beautiful place. (I was there last year for 2 days, so thats why I'm planning just the 1 day there this time.) Cheers, and thanks again. Mike :)

Liverpool, United...
reviews: 2
5. Re: From Riga to Vilnius by bus - any advice or suggestions

Hi Mike, I'm doing a very similar journey in a month's time. Tallinn-Riga-Vlnius-Warsaw, journeying between each by coach. I used the LUX website, paying for the best seats I can (about 24E at most). Looks like a nice way to travel!

I'm spending four days in each city, I visited them 5-7 years ago and love the Baltics. If you're about in June, maybe we can meet for a pint?

Andy

dublin
6. Re: From Riga to Vilnius by bus - any advice or suggestions

Cool. Yeah - I'm planning on flying into Tallinn on 28 June, and back from Tallinn on July 5. I was in Tallinn last year for a couple of days and really liked it. I've been reading the Lonley Planet guide books about Latvia and Lithuania and am really looking forward to seeing them.

I'm also working out if I can do a day trip to Kaunas on one of the days.

Once I have my hotels worked out I'll know which days I'll be in which cities.

Paignton, United...
7. Re: From Riga to Vilnius by bus - any advice or suggestions

when is the last bus to Vilnius

giletaavery2003@yahoo.co.uk

Bauska, Latvia
reviews: 2
8. Re: From Riga to Vilnius by bus - any advice or suggestions

The last bus to Vilnius is at 23:50 (except Mondays). Check this site: http://www.1188.lv/traffic/intercity_buses/?selected_from=7083&selected_to=9771&from=R%C4%ABgas++SAO&Vi%C4%BC%C5%86a+%28+Vilnius%29+

Vilnius
reviews: 3
9. Re: From Riga to Vilnius by bus - any advice or suggestions

I use Lux travel from Riga to Vilnius, its 5hrs but they have good seats, toilets, free coffee and internet plus laptop charging points to pass the time.

If you have an extra day like other people have said before use it for Talinn. Kaunas is nice enough, but there is nothing to see there that cant be better experienced in Vilnius

Greg

Goa Velha, India
reviews: 83
10. Re: From Riga to Vilnius by bus - any advice or suggestions

I travelled from Riga to Vilnius a couple of weeks back by the Lux express. There is a Lux simple as well but the express is well worth the few extra euros.In fact if you can go for a little extra, there is a lounge at the back of the bus with tables and 4 seats- there are 4 tables- very comfortable with an enclosure- separate from the rest of the normal passengers. All amenities, including toilet free coffee, hot chocolate, espresso etc, water bottles(1 per person) I energy bar/person, free wifi (little slow sometimes), electrical charging sockets on the window side. I travelled with my wife and 5 year old. We had 4 seats to ourselves- the bus was not full.

Only problem is the roads are not that great- very rattly- the buses are very good but I think the road surface is a problem especially in the middle.

Tallinn is great -my wife loved it. I personally preferred Vilnius.

Get answers to your questions about Riga