We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

help needed please

Which Riga hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
united kingdom
help needed please

im planning on a holiday in riga in a couple of years time. My father was born in riga and came to UK after the war. I would love to trace my relatives as he came from a large family. Could anybody please advise me on where to begin. Thank you

Tamara

Riga
1. Re: help needed please

Hi!

If you do not have any contacts with your relatives in Riga, it will be quite hard to find them. The only thing I can advise you is to get an address book and try to find them there. But first, maybe, get as much information from your parents as posible, still when you are in UK.

Wish you luck!

Liverpool, United...
reviews: 2
2. Re: help needed please

have you tried contracting the Latvian Consulate/Embassy? it's probably located in london, and they may have a service already in place, or a contact of an agency that could help you.

spud

united kingdom
3. Re: help needed please

thanks for the advice. My parents have both passed away but i will persevere. His surname was mjadzelics

Nijmegen
4. Re: help needed please

For me it helped to find information about my family in Latvia through an interview with the local paper (my dad came from Liepaja, so the paper was Kurzemes Vards). Maybe you can contact a paper in Riga.

Good luck!

doncaster
5. Re: help needed please

Tamara its Joanne, Ive been wanting to find out about my roots for ages and would like to go to Riga myself so if youre ok with it would it be ok to go with you? Cant leave mi phone num on here but mi email addy is jomajic75@yahoo.co.uk

Catcha later missis

Jo

doncaster
6. Re: help needed please

Tamara its Joanne, Ive been wanting to find out about my roots for ages and would like to go to Riga myself so if youre ok with it would it be ok to go with you? Cant leave mi phone num on here but mi email addy is jomajic75@yahoo.co.uk

Catcha later missis

Jo

latvia
7. Re: help needed please

have you any clue at all about where they lived or who they knew..........anything,,,,or else its down to the telephone book www.118.lv......you can see how many of you are there.there have to be some sort of register here of people where they lived.like a voting registar or a pasport registar.

best bet start with the embassy.........they know the ropes.