We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

If you need a useful, helpful advice from a local...

Which Riga hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Riga
Destination Expert
for Riga, Jurmala
reviews: 28
If you need a useful, helpful advice from a local...

Hello to everyone, who plans, intends, wishes to visit Riga and Latvia!

From this forum I understood that many problems that occur with fellows-travellers occur from what can be called "blind traveling". When you just get a cheap plane ticket, book a hotel through the net and go. I also do that - and, must admit, successfully. But I also have to admit, that my dear home country is not to be visited like that. Many people here still want to make and make money from ripping off tourists.

I wish to do something good to my country, which is beautiful and not that bad, and that's why I offer my advice and help to everyone, who wish to see the good parts of Latvia. I'm sorry I can't be helpful to those, who come here for stag parties, since I don't visit local bars. My offer is more for those, who like nature, maybe museums, seeing the city and country!

Will be glad to answer your questions!

Kind regards,

Eva

519 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
1. Re: If you need a useful, helpful advice from a local...

Sveika Eva!

I am also willing to offer advice to anyone who has any questions. There seems to have been too much talk about the negative in Riga.

Riga
Destination Expert
for Riga, Jurmala
2. Re: If you need a useful, helpful advice from a local...

Thanks!

Let's try to help people to find something good in Riga!:-)

Eva

Essex
reviews: 1
3. Re: If you need a useful, helpful advice from a local...

Hello, are there any decent beaches within driving distance of Riga? (for the summer time!) and if there are how much are they used by the locals? Is there also anywhere along the coast where surfing would be possible?

When I went to Alaska one of the great things was camp sites in the middle of the forests (and they are really big forests in Alaska), is there anything equivelant to this in Latvia?

thanks

Sydney, Australia
4. Re: If you need a useful, helpful advice from a local...

Hello hello!

Thanks for the questions! How long are you in Latvia for and when will you be there? There is approximately 400 km of coastline along the Baltic sea and it's all driving distance from Riga. About beautiful beaches, there is always Jurmala, although it does get crowded on hot summer days. If you have a car I would recommend that you drive further up and away from Riga towards Kolka. You can stop in Raguciems or further. These beaches are in the Gulf of Riga.

For more beaches on the Baltic Sea, you can head anywhere between Liepaja, Ventspils and Kolka. I'm not sure how good the surfing would be. Maybe Eva can answer that one. It is a bit of a farther distance from Riga, but you can always stay the night in smaller towns (Kuldiga, Aizpute, etc).

Have a look at the Latvian Tourism Development Agency's website and Lauku celotajs. Both offer ideas and suggestions for what you can do.

http://www.latviatourism.lv/

http://www.celotajs.lv/index.do

Hope this helps! I'll be more than happy to answer any further questions.

Sydney, Australia
5. Re: If you need a useful, helpful advice from a local...

Forgot to write something about the camping: Near Vaivari I think there is similar type of camping in the woods. Not sure though.

Ah...to warn you. If you will be in forests, etc. do consider getting a vaccination against tick borne encephalitis. There have been problems with ticks in the past.

Riga
Destination Expert
for Riga, Jurmala
6. Re: If you need a useful, helpful advice from a local...

Hello!

Latviana beaches are not really good for surfing, since in summer time we don't get much of windy days. Besides, Gulf of Riga is not Atlantic Ocean, that's for sure:-)

You can try surfing on Liepaja beach, it is quite far from Riga (3-4 hours drive) and quite secluded.

Well, as it's been said before, Jurmala beach is more socialized, many people, concert hall and concerts almost every day, restaurants, etc.

For more privacy you can go to Bulluciems (place in Riga called Bolderaja), 40 minutes drive from the centre.

Riga
Destination Expert
for Riga, Jurmala
7. Re: If you need a useful, helpful advice from a local...

http://www.nemo.lv/ENG/index.html

Here is the link to Vaivari camp in Jurmala town

Riga
reviews: 1
8. Re: If you need a useful, helpful advice from a local...

Hello!

Kolka area (to Ventspils direction) is good for surfing, also see:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFCEzHN-e7c

and camping on www.vietas.lv:

www.vietas.lv/eng/index.php…

or near to Riga, Juras priede:

http://www.viss.lv/?p=148811&l=eng

It is good to rent a car and just explore all coastline, from Liepaja to Ainazi, or from Liepaja to Kolka at least and then to Jurmala (which is for social life, less for the nature).

There are many summer outdoor activities in Latvia during summertime!

Welcome!

Liberec, Czech...
9. Re: If you need a useful, helpful advice from a local...

Me and my friends can go to Latvia next year. Which part of summer is better for swimming and beach sports? Late July? We can rent guest house near Lapmežciems for 14 days.

Helsinki
reviews: 2
10. Re: If you need a useful, helpful advice from a local...

Yes, July - early August is the high season on Latvian beaches. Lots of sun, tolerable water temperature. Heaven. Lapmezciems is a nice little place too. Not too far from Riga, through Jurmala, a good starting point for seeing some of Kurzeme (western Latvia): Tukums, Kandava, Sabile, Talsi, Kolka, Ventspils, Kuldiga.

Reply to: If you need a useful, helpful advice from a local...
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted