We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia in 3 weeks

Moss Vale, Australia
reviews: 101
Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia in 3 weeks

My husband and I are planning to visit the area in September 2013 and would like to use the train system throughout.

I realize that buses are preferred, but I think I have worked out connections which we can fit in with.

We enjoy experiencing new cultures, local food, architecture, pretty skylines and really walking the streets to get an idea how the locals live, all at a relaxed pace. Not at all interested in bars as such.

So with this in mind, can those that know the area please advise if what we are planning is feasible, or would you recommend other towns/villages to stay at rather than what is proposed.

Here goes:

Fly into Vilnius

Vilnius 5 nights

Train to Kaunas 2 nights

Train to Daugavpils 1 night

Train to Riga 5 nights

Train to Cēsis 2 nights

Train to Tartu 2 nights

Train to Tallinn 5 nights

Ferry to Helsinki

In each of the capitals, we plan 1 or 2 days trips out using either train or bus.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, as at the moment only entry and exit dates are locked in.

Many thanks

Riga, Latvia
reviews: 20
1. Re: Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia in 3 weeks

Your idea is great in therms that it gives you more opportunities to see Latvia that the usual "only Riga and 1 day trip" stuff that tourists usually prefer.

Daugavpils is really different from Riga, so have your time to explore it! Here is tourism objects http://daugavpils.lv/en/turisms, the main attraction is Daugavpils Fortress.

If you want to have one day out of Riga, you can take trip to Jūrmala and its vicinity (search in forum for suggestions). When heading to Cēsis, you can take early train to stop in Sigulda, and then continue to Cēsis (train and bus schedules are here http://www.1188.lv/transport, enter your destinations and search). Also, search in forum for suggestions, both towns have lots of sightseeing and activities to offer.

Only way you can get by train to Tartu, is by train which leaves Rīga in 13:10 (it stops in Cēsis as well), then you have to switch to Estonian train in Valga www.1188.lv/transport/train/schedule…

Moss Vale, Australia
2. Re: Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia in 3 weeks

Thank you for your informative reply Antuanete.

I thought we could catch the afternoon train from Daugavpils to Riga and would have a little time in the morning to have a look around the town. I like the idea it is different to Riga.

Also, I had thought we would go to Sigulda as a day trip from Riga. That way we won't have luggage to stow.

Another day trip will hopefully be Rundale Palace, which looks magnificent on the website.

What do you think about these ideas?

Also, if we were to do these 2 day trips out of Riga, will the remaining 3 or so days leave enough time for general wandering about as well as see the touristy sites?

Your website links will be very helpful as I plan our trip.

Many thanks

Vejen, Denmark
Destination Expert
for Riga
reviews: 19
3. Re: Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia in 3 weeks

I can only recommed Rundale palace, beautyful restored.

3 days in Riga should be enough and would also give you time to explore the areas around the Old Town.

You could also consider to take the boat trip from Riga to Jurmala and

train back.

Take a look in the Riga forum, there is plenty of suggestions.

Riga, Latvia
reviews: 20
4. Re: Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia in 3 weeks

Reading what other posters comment in Estonia forum about your choice of Sigulda and Cēsis, I can agree, that Sigulda deserves more than just day trip. Maybe the best option would be getting to Sigulda in morning and staying there for one night - then you can put your luggage in hotel and enjoy all the culture objects, trails and scenery without rush to next train. Then next day you can continue to Cēsis. If you don't want to stay for another night, then you can arrive early in the morning and spend there time until Valga (Tartu) train (only setback is that there is almost no place to store large size luggage, but I'm sure you can ask train station personnel to help with this).

What I recommend to do in Cēsis is to arrange some theatrical guided tour in castle ruins (information you can find here http://www.tourism.cesis.lv/en/start-page/) and to visit Smithy of Ancient Jewellery http://kalve.cesis.lv

Gambrills, MD
Destination Expert
for Fussen
reviews: 99
5. Re: Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia in 3 weeks

The castle ruins in Cesis are wonderful, and the Smithy of Ancient Jewelry is quite an interesting guy. He's even on facebook.

Moss Vale, Australia
6. Re: Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia in 3 weeks

Thank you all for your insightful comments.

At the moment, I thought we would spend 3 nights in Sigulda and therefore be able to have a day trip by train to Cēsis from there.

As with everything, something has to give, so I think we will reduce our time in Riga to 4 nights.

Interesting about both of your comments on the Smithy of Ancient Jewellery, which I will certainly look into. The castle was always on the radar.

With Rundale, I think that will be a day trip out of Riga.

Always nice to hear what someone who has been to these places, thinks.

I really appreciate your comments.

Kind regards,

Barbara Anne

7. Re: Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia in 3 weeks

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, February 01, 2014