We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How safe?

Which Vilnius hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London
reviews: 6
How safe?

Hi all, after reading a couple of reviews on Vilnius I am a little concerned about crime. I am visiting the town in the very near future with a view to looking into property investment. I`m wondering whether the place could fall into a stag party haven full of drunken brits and lap dancing clubs. As I havent been there I have no feel for the place and I would rather ask an impartial visitor as opposed to a local estate agent. I have also read other reviewers warnings of mobile phone theft. Should this be a concern or is the place no worse than anywhere else? Thanks.

Brooklyn, New York
reviews: 8
1. Re: How safe?

I was there 2 years ago and I felt as safe as can be.

Why would you invest in a place never having been there, that's the question I would be asking?

Worthing, United...
reviews: 11
2. Re: How safe?

Hi

We've been twice in the past two years and I'm very surprised that crime is a worry there. We've walked the streets at midnight and not seen anything which could cause any unease. We are in our 50's and very law abiding people who drink very little.

Drunken Brits are everywhere low cost flights go, but they do not go to Vilnius, the flights that is, ergo neither do British drunks.

Jackie

Venezia
reviews: 1
3. Re: How safe?

I agree with the above,

But you never know when a low cost airline will turn up, but hopefully Vilnius will see what happened to Riga and try to stop all these idiots going.

Just go and see what you think, I think it's a great city.

annapolis, md
Destination Expert
for Annapolis, Maryland
reviews: 207
4. Re: How safe?

Please don't get your impressions from this message board. My family members live in Vilnius and I have visited 3 times from the States. We walked around at all hours and this is females talking. It is an unbelievable city and safe. Frankly I am tired and bored of all the stag party inquiries and wish they would go away. If you wish to get "drunk and screw" quoting Jimmy Buffet, you certainly can do it in your neck of the woods.

London
reviews: 6
5. Re: How safe?

I think you misread my question. I am trying to avoid the stag party crowd.

annapolis, md
Destination Expert
for Annapolis, Maryland
reviews: 207
6. Re: How safe?

No, I know that you are trying to avoid that crowd and I am sorry you thought those comments were meant for you...they were not. Just venting.....So many postings come up in regards to "stag" parties, and that is unfortunate because it gives people the wrong impression about the city.

Portsmouth, United...
reviews: 32
7. Re: How safe?

Yes, I'm concerned about safety too, but I found all the replies reassuring.

I've just turned 60 and I'm thinking of going in mid-Feb. I'd like a clean, quiet, fairly central but cheapish hotel and I'd like to visit Kaunas. I'd also like the names of good places to eat and advice re prices and menus if anyone can be bothered posting all this. And what about the weather - is it as cold as it sounds and is this in any way unmanageable?

Oh yes . . . I don't speak German or Russian. Will this be a real problem?

Hope you can help. Thanks.

Vilnius
8. Re: How safe?

English is ok - most of young people in Vilnius speaks english. Hotel's, restaurant's staff speaks English too.

Now in winter you can get the hotel for really good price. I have found the good offers for hotels with winter discounts:

Senatoriai hotel - I think it is cosy and located in front of the Vilnius Cathedral, in very city center: www.allbaltichotels.com/site/en/akcijos.html…

Comfort Vilnius hotel - cosy, located in Old Town: www.allbaltichotels.com/site/en/akcijos.html…

Good luck! Have a nice time in Lithuania. At this moment there are a lit a bit cold and snowy.

Worthing, United...
reviews: 11
9. Re: How safe?

Hi chandos7

We've stayed in two hotels in Vilnius, both were fine, the City Gate and the Scandic Neringa.

For restaurant recomendations you cannot go wrong with the In Your Pocket guide, download copies for Vilnius and Kaunas now and buy full copies when you get there. I wouldn't travel without one.

There is so much to see in Vilnius you can't help but love it.

Jackie

Beverly Shores...
reviews: 23
10. Re: How safe?

I have been in Vilnius more than 24 times, never saw anything happen, either in the daytime or at night. You will be very safe and just enjoy your trip.