We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

local bus

Which Vilnius hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
cmtjones
reviews: 5
local bus

We are staying for one week at Sv Stepona. I want to use the local buses as I am not able to walk for long periods everyday. Are we close to the bus terminal and what number bus would take me to

1. St Bernadine Church

2. St Peter & Paul

3 Uzupis

4 National Museum

5 Panerial Museum

Also our day trip by bus to Kaunus, any suggestions what to see, or where to get a tourist sightseeing bus. thank you

Brno, Czech Republic
reviews: 115
1. Re: local bus

check http://www.vilniustransport.lt/en/, www.vilniustransport.lt/images/mrweb_1.gif. if sv. stepono is street, to peter ant paul church - trolley nr. 7. bus nr. 10 passes uzupis and bernardine church, but it does not go from sv. stepono (check the map how to get to nearest stop), national museum - trolley nr. 7.

LT
2. Re: local bus

"...to peter ant paul church - trolley nr. 7...."

This trolley goes opposite direction. Trolleys No 2, 3, 4, 14, 17 and 20 go to peter and paul church. Not buses but trolleybuses.

"...am not able to walk for long periods everyday...."

How much is "long period"? E.g. St Bernadine Church is 1 minute walk from Užupis. St Peter & Paul church is in some 40 min walk from there, though if you take a trolley it's only some 10 mins of slow walk from St Bernadine Church to the trolley stop. Paneriai museum is outside Vilnius in Paneriai, 6 mins by train, then walk to the site some 10 mins.

National museum has several buildings. If you mean "Old Arsenal" and "New Arsenal" then both are at the foot of Gediminas Hill (upper castle) and near the troley stop to go to St Peter & Pauls. Another building of National Museum is a tower of upper castle itself. So it's in 10 mins walk from Užupis. So what is "long period"? If it's up to ~10 minutes, then you have to take a taxi.

Brno, Czech Republic
reviews: 115
3. Re: local bus

my mistake. instead of nr. 7, nr. 3 is for national museum and st. peter & paul church. from trakų/stotis stops (closest to sv. stepono street) nr. 2 and 20 also goes that direction.

cmtjones
4. Re: local bus

thank you both for this information. I can walk for maybe 1 hour and then rest. I have morphine so I carry on if needed. Would we be able to buy a weekly bus/trolley ticket to cover us. Is it feasible to go for day trip to Belarus or Russia, how would we go about it, would we need to stay over, and if so suggest B&B. thank you, your advice appreciated and cant wait to see your beautiful country.

cmtjones
5. Re: local bus

thank you both for great info. On first day I can walk one hour then stop and later walk more. I have to pace myself eeery day tho I have morphine to get throught it. Could we visit Belarus or Russia, is it feasible and stay over at B&B any recommendations. Thank you both so much

LT
6. Re: local bus

"...I can walk for maybe 1 hour and then rest..."

I'm not sure what does that "at Sv Stepona" means, but if it is a street's name (Šv. Stepono) then you probably should use an "Old Town Minibus", it stops near that street and goes to Užupis. Number 89. The bus No 88 goes similar way but almost opposite direction, though both routes starts and ends at the same points. These are the newly introduced municipality buses, they run thru the Old Town, which generally is not friendly for vehicles and is rather more suitable for pedestrians. But Šv. Stepono street is at the opposite edge of the Old Town from Užupis and from those other objects (churches, museum). So for you it is not convenient. And those other buses and troleybuses (mentioned in previous posts) round the Old Town and only comes closer to one or another object, but they don't go thru the Old Town. Streets generally are too narrow for buses and trolleybuses, that's why.

And those two buses (88 and 89) are intended to serve spcifically the Old Town. Tickets should be obtained from the driver, i actually don't know whether the city transport tickets are valid there, anyway you allways can buy a ticket from the driver at any kind of public transport.

So if you take the bus (which is always a minibus) No 89 and go til the end (it is a stop called "Užupio" - "[a stop] of Uzhupis") , you can easily walk to the cathedral square and the National Museum where is the stop of regular buses and troleybuses (mentioned in previous posts). All that you can see on the scheme of Vilnius public transport: www.vilniustransport.lt/images/mrweb_1.gif

, those Old Town buses are marked in green (pay attention to the arrows indicating direction). At bus timetables those buses are marked in blue as all buses. Timetables can be found here http://www.vilniustransport.lt . It has an EN version, though some detailed info is not translated and shows "error".

If you go from the "Užupis" stop to the other end of the route, you'll be taken to the parlament square (called Independence Square). Same for No 88 and No 89, but they go different routes across the Old town. Only starting point and the end point are same.

Can't understand the question about Belarus and Russia. Buth are neither Nother Korea nor Cuba, get a visa and go for 1 day or 1 month. Everything depends on where (in Russia and Belarus) you want to go: Belarus is almost same size as UK, so if it feasible to go for day trip to UK it equally applies to Belarus. As for Russia, it is a largest country in the world. What sense to go there for 1 day? And where?

As for Paneriai, if you go there by train everything is OK, but the site is in the forest, at the very remote and hardly accesible suburban area (this is why specifically Paneriai was chosen), so when you go there from the train stop (not station, but the stop of suburban trains) to the site you have to explore it by foot, territory is not too large but it is not small either. And it's not summer now. October, November and December are the ugliest months. To rest there means to rest in the forest during the ugliest weather.

Edited: 8:51 am, October 16, 2012
7. Re: local bus

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 am, December 15, 2013