We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

day trips

Which Kaunas hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Greenville, South...
reviews: 37
day trips

My daughters, who are in there 20s, and I will be in Kaunas this summer visiting relatives. I would appreciate suggestions for some day trips out of the city we could do with public transportation

Thanks in advance..

Western Ireland...
reviews: 110
1. Re: day trips

You could take the bus or train to Vilnius & enjoy a full day there.

Kaunas
2. Re: day trips

PAZAISLIS ANSEMBLE OF THE CHURCH OF HOLY VIRGIN MARY AND CAMALDOLLI ABBEY is accessible with city transport (trolleybus) and from here, Rumsiskes by ship is a good one day trip.

Kaunas tourism information center can offer interesting and inexpensive, guided one day bus tours in Lithuania.

visit.kaunas.lt/W3/ekskursijos…

Edited: 4:32 am, March 20, 2010
Greenville, South...
3. Re: day trips

Thank you. The ekskursijos site is very helpful. Iv'e been to Kaunas many times but have never done any tours and these look great. How do you take the ship to Rumsiskes?

Navarre, Florida
reviews: 129
4. Re: day trips

Visit the Hill of Crosses and the Coronian Spit (a World Heritage site) easily by bus from Kaunas. You could ride the train but it is much slower.

We loved the spit and made our way early in the day and to the sea so we could hunt for pieces of amber. We found a handful of pieces after we got the hang of what we were looking for.

I love Lithuania. We went and found (after 70 or so years) the relatives who did not immigrate. Wonderful.

Greenville, South...
5. Re: day trips

I have been to Nida, but we had a rented car. I was not aware that I could get there easily by bus from Kaunas. Do you have to change buses or does it go directly? I would love to go back. I agree, the Hill of Crosses is amazing to see.

LT
6. Re: day trips

"....Do you have to change buses or does it go directly?..."

There is 1 or 2 buses that go directly up to Nida. It's handy if you have a lot of luggage and are going there for some 1 or 2 weeks. Otherwise just take any bus to Klaipėda, then walk to ferry (departs every 30 min or so) and on the other side there is a bus, or minibus, or both, + taxi, usually already waiting. If not, check the timetable at the spot, the buses should go at least every hour or so. Bear in mind, that there are local buses (Nida - Smiltynė - Nida) that are not listed on the internet. Also it is common that locals (who live there) gladly pick up some passengers for normal price (fuel price + a little bit)

Greenville, South...
7. Re: day trips

Thank you for the information. Sounds like it won't be difficult for us to do.

Lithuania
8. Re: day trips

"How do you take the ship to Rumsiskes?"

I'm not sure if there are ships but you can get there by mini bus that goes to Rumsiskes (number 118, goes from Kalniečių prekyb. c).

Kaunas
9. Re: day trips

Kaunas - Nida (Curonian split) very nice and picturesque day or to days trip, with high speed riverboat

https://www.tiketa.lt/Show.aspx…

Edited: 3:51 am, July 01, 2010
Kaunas
10. Re: day trips

Kaunas - Nida (Curonian spit) very nice and picturesque day or two days trip, with high speed riverboat

https://www.tiketa.lt/Show.aspx…

http://www.nemunolinija.lt/en/route