We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

budapest to bratislava, kosice detour?

Which Kosice hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kuala Lumpur...
reviews: 50
budapest to bratislava, kosice detour?

I am going to spend a few days in Budapest in Novermber, with Brastilava being my final destination. Is it worth staying in Kosice for a couple of days?

I am traveling by public transport, btw

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
reviews: 8
1. Re: budapest to bratislava, kosice detour?

Definitely - it is European Capital of Culture this year and is more immediately appealing than Bratislava, IMO. There is a direct morning train - buy a return ticket when in Budapest which is cheaper than a single and it costs about €25.

For train times see www.cp.sk - the English button is bottom right.

Kuala Lumpur...
2. Re: budapest to bratislava, kosice detour?

Thanks!! That just made the decision for me :)

would 2 days be enough? It's middle of November, I am not sure if I would be up for hiking. I cant find any company offering day tours from kosice either :(

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
reviews: 8
3. Re: budapest to bratislava, kosice detour?

2 days should be fine, and you should find plenty to do in the city visitkosice.eu/en/events/top-events-in-2013

In November serious hiking is not the best idea anyway - the weather isn't usually the greatest, and the mountains are usually covered with a big blanket of cloud. But if there are blue skies it might be worth spending a day or so in Poprad and get the little train that goes up to the Tatra mountain foothills for some spectacular views - go right to the end (Štrbské pleso) and have a walk around there, definitely to Štrbské pleso lake itself, and/or a little bit further to Popradské pleso, which isn't a demanding walk at all.

If it is cloudy, just stay on the train to Bratislava - there are overnight trains as well, and you can buy tickets for those in advance.

Kosice, Kosice...
4. Re: budapest to bratislava, kosice detour?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18PftZp3wOo

Kuala Lumpur...
5. Re: budapest to bratislava, kosice detour?

I've done the trip and I'd enjoyed Kosice. Charming little old town that's good for a day or two. I found good restaurants and nice cafes just within the old town. People are really friendly too :)

6. Re: budapest to bratislava, kosice detour?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:15 pm, yesterday