We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From Bratislava to Budapest

Which Bratislava hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Santiago, Chile
reviews: 96
From Bratislava to Budapest

My husband and I are travelling from Bratislava to Budapest next may and would appreciate your advice on the best way to do it. We will be coming from Viena by boat. Our intention was to continue by boat but could not find a company that would do all of it. This company Twin Liner we are travelling on, only gets to Bratislava and the Hungarian Mahart starts operations in june... Therefore, I guess our only chance is by train or bus. Can anybody help with this? Any idea about prices?

Thanks in advance.

11 replies to this topic
Bratislava, Slovakia
Destination Expert
for Bratislava
reviews: 92
1. Re: From Bratislava to Budapest

You can take either train (trains run every 2 hours from Bratislava hlavna stanica to Budapest Keleti Pu.) or bus (there are several daily connections, operated by Slovak Lines and Orangeways). The trip takes approx 3 hours. You can find more information about transport options here:

Train:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g274924-c194616/Brati…

Bus:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g274924-c194618/Brati…

Santiago, Chile
2. Re: From Bratislava to Budapest

Thanks, Yale. Very helful!

Santiago, Chile
3. Re: From Bratislava to Budapest

Yale9999, it's me again for more help...

I wrote to info@slovakrail.sk and was told that it is not possible to buy ticket for the route Bratislava – Budapest through internet. They must be bought at the counter at the railway station. The problem is that I need to buy a ticket to be assured that I can travel (train or bus) on a certain day. Otherwise, I'm afraid we won't be able to go Bratislava, which of course we don't want to miss in our European tournée. Do you know any company, train or bus that sells on internet? Foreign trains?

Birmingham, United...
reviews: 50
4. Re: From Bratislava to Budapest

Hi,

I am sure you can buy a ticket online from slovaklines.sk....Bus company that runs daily buses.

Birmingham, United...
reviews: 50
5. Re: From Bratislava to Budapest

You can, just checked, 2 buses a day, one at 11.45am, one at 7.30pm, 10 euros one way/person. You can set the website to English for easier use in the top right corner if you don`t fancy deciphering Slovak.

Santiago, Chile
6. Re: From Bratislava to Budapest

Thanks, TimeaRose! I got them! I owe you one!

Bratislava, Slovakia
Destination Expert
for Bratislava
7. Re: From Bratislava to Budapest

As others mentioned, unfortunately possibilities to buy international train tickets online are currently limited.

However, bus tickets for the route can be bought online in advance. There are two major companies on that route:

http://www.orangeways.com/

http://www.slovaklines.sk/

Santiago, Chile
8. Re: From Bratislava to Budapest

Thanks, Yale. I bought slovaklines tickets.

Isle of Man, United...
9. Re: From Bratislava to Budapest

Is it possible to buy the bus tickets from the driver? If so are they more expensive?

Also, does anyone know how much a train ticket is likely to be when bought at the station? I cannot find it anywhere on the internet!

Bratislava, Slovakia
Destination Expert
for Bratislava
10. Re: From Bratislava to Budapest

In most cases you can buy the ticket for bus from the driver, it shouldn't be more expensive. But if the bus is full, customers with tickets purchased in advance will have preference.

Reply to: From Bratislava to Budapest
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Bratislava