We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bratislava - how many days...??

Which Bratislava hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Pemberton, B.C.
reviews: 7
Bratislava - how many days...??

We are travelling through Eastern Europe - Prague, Vienna, Budapest, Belgrade and Bucharest and want to make a stop in Bratislava. Is it worthwhile for an overnight with one full day or should I book two nights giving us an extra 1/2 day.....

Also anyone have any other good "pit" stops for this city tour feel free to pass them on. Travelling by train.

thanks!

Mannheim, Germany
reviews: 31
1. Re: Bratislava - how many days...??

Dear Auberge,

I have just returned from a daytrip to Bratislava from Vienna (a 1 hour train journey).

Here is a link to some of my observations, train info, etc.

I think that one full day in Bratislava is more then ample time to do and see everything that you would want to. The city is fairly small and manageable.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g274924-i1156-k125…

Amsterdam
reviews: 2
2. Re: Bratislava - how many days...??

I visited Bratislava while on a trip in Austria. Bratislava is basically a provincial town, in no way comparable to cosmopolitic cities like Prague or Budapest. There are no major attractions in Bratislava. Only the historical center is of some interest. It is renovated but very small. Be aware that the quality of services in general is poor, even while prices are fairly high. We paid for a bad coffee the same price as for a fine, nicely served one in Vienna and had a feeling in the restaurant and hotel tourist are seen as rich milking cows. Not a pleasant place to be.

Mannheim, Germany
reviews: 31
3. Re: Bratislava - how many days...??

I have to agree a little bit with the previous post. Our restaurant service was poor and there was a fly in my food. My dish was a slovakian spaetzle with sheep cheese sauce, so it was white - the fly should have stood out to the cook.

Also, our meatless dishes had lots of bacon in them. Our meals were served on a dish the size of a small salad plate. Our total bill also was more than stated on the menu, but it was about 1 USD, so it was not worth the fight for the corrected price since they did not speak anything other than Slovak.

I really do think that you could jump out of the train for 1-2 hours and then carry on. I know Vienna has so much to do and see and I can only imagine that Prague and Budapest do as well.

Eastern seaboard
4. Re: Bratislava - how many days...??

We were in Bratislava for 3 days recently and that was one day too many. But we did fill up two days. It is a small provincial city (about 600,000 pop), but that is part of what makes it interesting -- it is not like the big tourist cities of Europe, where you are probably going to encounter far more tourists (more or less just like yourselves) than you will in the "off the beaten track" places. It is more gritty and thus seemed more "real," in terms of seeing how Central Europeans really do live when they aren't putting on a show for tourists. Prague was so flooded with tourists that if you close your eyes and don't look at the old buildings, you might as well be in Chicago or Frankfurt. It was interesting for us to see a place where you have more access to local people living their lives. The old center can indeed be seen in a few hours, counting an hour in a sidewalk cafe watching the parade, which included some strikingly beautiful young women -- are they all models? The castle offered a nice view (of one of the ugliest mass of housing estates we've ever encountered -- just look in the other direction) but was otherwise a waste of a steep uphill walk. The most interesting thing was the extra wide staircases, build so Maria Tereza could ride her horse up and down, so we were told. It's starting to sound like we didn't enjoy it, but we did. Maybe because we did avoid the places that right up front existed to cater to tourists passing through. We got a guidebook from the local tourist office, which showed us how to use the mass transit system -- it's not very easy -- in order to find some really beautiful hiking trails in the steep hills at the edge of the city. We bought picnic makings and a bottle of wine at a local market and had a lunch picnic at the crest of the highest point in the city, and were entertained by a group of children and their parents playing on a big hill and riding down a "dry" toboggan run. We had a good supper our last night by simply watching where people speaking Slovak (we think, might have been Czech for all we know), and ate popular local food and drank a bottle of wine and two beers for four people at a total bill of $38. I don't know where you live, but in my neighborhood that would buy a nice lunch for one.

No point in rambling on about this. Just wanted to say that our family enjoyed Bratislava (also Ljubljana in Slovenia for many of the same reasons) and didn't have any trouble filling up two days with things to do. Although a third day would have been too much.

Chicago, Illinois
5. Re: Bratislava - how many days...??

I’ve visited Bratislava on four different occasions (visiting friends); TonyZ33’s post is a very good description, you could do Bratislava in a day. In some ways I actually preferred it to Budapest and Prague as I’m not much into traveling just to see tourist sites. The nightlife is definitely better than Vienna’s.

As for the service/restaurants, the service is no better or worse than what you would receive in Budapest or Prague. In the old town city center they do see tourists as a way to make money but I think that is to be expected at any major tourist area, my Chicago’s Navy Pier comes to mind.

If you have any additional questions there is another website worth a try www.slovensko.com, they have a traveling to Slovakia forum with some unbiased views from ex pats.

6. Re: Bratislava - how many days...??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:19 am, September 03, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Bratislava