We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Private transportation from Debrecen to Budapest

Which Debrecen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Boca Raton, FL
reviews: 5
Private transportation from Debrecen to Budapest

I am going from Debrecen to Kaba and a few days later from Kaba to Budapest. Anybody have any idea of how much would it cost to get a long distance taxi? We do not want to rent a car and drive. (3 adults).

Any idea or website to look at would be appreciated.

Thanks

17 replies to this topic
USA
reviews: 28
1. Re: Private transportation from Debrecen to Budapest

I have had one experience with First Class Limo Service in January; went well enough that I am going to re-hire them in June. Not cheap but you could do worse.

Boca Raton, FL
2. Re: Private transportation from Debrecen to Budapest

Thank you for the fast response. That gave me some guide lines on prices.

Phoenix, Arizona
reviews: 27
3. Re: Private transportation from Debrecen to Budapest

I would not not get a private driver/taxi from Budapest to Debrecen nor Debrecen to Kaba. I assume you are visiting relatives there. You can easily take a very comfy train for very cheap...maybe $15US to Debrecen and only about 3 hours. From there you can take the train back to Kaba which is only about 15-20 miles away on the way back to Budapest. Stop there and then jump back on and continue your ticket to Budapest.

For more information about Debrecen see the thread "What is east of Budapest." Read the original post and then at post #20 there is detailed info on how to take the train. There is alwo more info on Debrecen throughout the thread.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g274887-i263-k4864…

I have been there many times and this is really the way to do it.

If you want more info about Debrecen or the area don't hesitate to send me a private message!

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Pecs, Budapest
reviews: 6
4. Re: Private transportation from Debrecen to Budapest

I 'think' I agree with the last post, although I'm not sure that it addresses your question.

If I read your post correctly, you will already be in Debrecen. Have you figured out how to get to Kaba from Debrecen, or is this part of the question? That is, are you looking for a long-distance taxi to meet you in Devrecen, take you to Kaba, and then - several days later, take you to Budapest? That strikes me as horribly costly.

OTOH, if you are taking a local taxi or being picked up at Debrecen and taken to Raba and are looking for a way to get back to Budapest, then the best way (I'd think) would be to get a local taxi in Raba to take you to the RR station in Debrecen and take the train to Budapest. (For comfort, get an ICE train and go 1st class.)

Trains run at least once an hour. Cost is either 5320 fts (takes about 3 hrs) or 7010 fts (takes about 3 1/2 hrs) pp in 1st. So, something like $26 on one and $35 on the other per person. I very much doubt that you'd be able to get a private pick-up from Budapest for that.

The reason for the difference is a difference in route. The cheaper and shorter one goes 'straight' from Debrecen. The longer and more costly one goes from Debrecen NE to Nyireghadzed and Tokaj, then rurns W and goes to Budapest via Miskolc. The longer one is moe 'scenic,' at least to me.

Phoenix, Arizona
5. Re: Private transportation from Debrecen to Budapest

Believe it or not, the train that runs from Budapest to Debrecen is the same train that runs from Debrecen to Budapest. I have taken this train literally dozens of times. To suggest going north from Debrecen to Nyireghaza (another city I have been to dozens of times) and etc., etc., makes about as much sense as taking the train east and then heading south into Romania through Satu Mare (Szatmar Nemeti) or Carei (Nagy Karoly)...more places I have been to dozens of times and then heading back west to hit the switching yard at Oradea and then re-enter Hungary and link back up with the same Debrecen train at either Puspokladany or at Szolnok.

If you are in Debrecen already, you will find most taxis (as in most citites) are at the train station. Why pay the huge sum for a taxi to take you to Kaba when you can get a nice comfy ride with the train? It will take about the same amount of time but the train will save you a huge amount of money. I pay about $16 US to go from Budapest to Mateszalka which is about an hour beyond Debrecen. I buy a 2nd class seat and it is just about the same as a 1st class and I actually prefer it for many reasons. I would be happy to explain them if you are interested.

That is why I estimated about $15 for your ticket. In short, it makes no sense from the standpoint of someone who has done this dozens of times to try to do anything other than what I recommended unless you have some need to retain a private driver for days while you are in Kaba, a town you can easily walk around in.

Lastly, it make even less sense to have a Debrecen taxi drive out to pick you up in Kaba to take you back to the Debrecen train station. Just go to the station in Kaba and pick up the Debrecen train there.

nyc, usa
Destination Expert
for Budapest
reviews: 9
6. Re: Private transportation from Debrecen to Budapest

All those trips back and forth ... sounds a tad like Charlie On the MTA ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VMSGrY-IlU

Phoenix, Arizona
7. Re: Private transportation from Debrecen to Budapest

No...he never returned. John, you're showing your age!

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Pecs, Budapest
reviews: 6
8. Re: Private transportation from Debrecen to Budapest

Mea culpa. My stupid was not checking that Kaba was on the RR line to Debrecen from Budapest. It is, and just taking the train from Kaba to Budapest (Nyugati) is clearly the cheapest (and probably the fastest) wasy to go. On 2nd vs 1st? Yes, I'd like to know why it is preferable- aside from the cost.

Anyway, the only reason I mentioned the two routes was because if the OP wanted to see more of what Hungary looked like than the back and forth between Debrecen and Budapest, this is an option that doesn't cost much more and doesn't really take much longer. I happen to like scenery. So I like seeing the hills and vineyards around Tokaj, the hills as one approaches and leaves Miskolc, etc. As a matter of fact, a lot of the IC trains run circular routes from Keleti to Nyugati or vice versa. Sometimes clockwise and sometimes counterclockwise. (Elvira doesn't want you to do this, as the obvious route between Nyugati and Keleti is by the Metro - certainly not out almost to the Romanian border.!) It also gets 'interesting' when one tries to ua seat reservation or ticket for this circular day trip.

I don't think any of us has figured out why a private taxi from Kaba to Budepest for 3 people is important (or considered essential?) aside from the fact that renting a car and driving isn't acceptable.

Let's hope that the OP returns and gives us more info.

Boca Raton, FL
9. Re: Private transportation from Debrecen to Budapest

The only reason we wanted to use private car instead of the train because we will have a lot's of luggage, but I got the picture. Thank you for the info.

Phoenix, Arizona
10. Re: Private transportation from Debrecen to Budapest

Anything smaller than an elephant seems to go on the train. You can carry much more on the train than in a car.

Reply to: Private transportation from Debrecen to Budapest
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted