We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Top 5 things to see in Budapest

Which Budapest hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Oxford England
reviews: 152
Top 5 things to see in Budapest

We are spending 3 days in Budapest in May, are aged 50 something, like walking, and would to have your opinions on the top 5 things to see/do. We are staying in Buda so will obviously wander round the attractions there, will make a point of seeing the Terror Museum but what else ? Had thought of a river trip along to the Danube Bend, how long does this take and is it easy to arrange ? Thanks for any info.

Hungary
reviews: 1
1. Re: Top 5 things to see in Budapest

1.Buda Castle: I would recommend you to do a nice walk on the streets of the hill from Becsi Kapu until the Castle. It's a good 20 minutes walk, but the old littel streets and houses, and the other sights are worth to see as well. Other way is to walk through the Chain Bridge and then go up to the Castle with the funicular.

2. House of Parliament: One of the biggest parliamentary building in the world. The building can be seen on guided tours.

For more info: http://www.parlament.hu/parl_en.htm

3.St. Stephen's Basilica: Beautiful church. Don't miss the cupola visit.

4.Citadella on the Gellért Hill: It offers great views of both Buda hill and Pest side of the city.

http://www.citadella.hu/

5. Baths: I suggest Széchenyi or Gellért Bath.

http://www.spasbudapest.com/

+1: Walk along on the Andrássy street from Deák square to Heroes' Square.

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 25
2. Re: Top 5 things to see in Budapest

Unless you walk up Gellert Hill to the Citadella (it's a long uphill walk), I would scratch that and replace it with either a walk down Vaci Ut or a walk through Margit Island. Otherwise I agree with t his poster. If I remember correctly, the boat tours take quite a long time, not only because of the distance they need to travel, but because of the schedule they run. They expect anyone who goes up there will tour the castle before returning, so (I believe...but may be wrong) that the schedules are very separated

Oxford England
3. Re: Top 5 things to see in Budapest

Thanks for your advice. I would really like to take a boat trip up to the Danube Bend, I have read that it takes 1 1/2 hrs. approx. and had assumed, perhaps wrongly, that there would be lots of boats companies eager to take tourists there ??

Chicago, Illinois
4. Re: Top 5 things to see in Budapest

I'm not fully up to date on all of the boat tours. I know there is an evening boat which can include a dinner. The boat I referred to goes to Visregrad and Szetendre...that takes about an hour and a half each direction. There may be other boats...others might have a better idea.

Arlington, VA
5. Re: Top 5 things to see in Budapest

Taking the boat robs you of too much time on a short visit. IT IS A MISTAKE!

Going to Szentendre may be something you wish to do. Take the HEV suburban RR (of which I have previously posted) it is interesting enough. If you must, perhaps you might take the boat one way - check the return schedule. Other suggestions are good but there is not much up on top of Gellert Hill (the old Soviet soldier statues have been removed from around the Liberation monument) and the Citadell is of limited interest.

You don't mention where you are staying on the Buda side - if you are in the Hilton near the Fisherman's Bastion, you will surely take in much of what's on top of Castle Hill.

In Pest walking the pedestrian Vaci u (as previously mentioned) all the way to the large market hall is a good idea. Then you can walk or take the tram 1 stop across the bridge over the Danube & go the the Gellert baths & afterward walk up to the CItadell, if you really wish to do so. Then, come down the other path toward the north side of the hill and you can continue across to the little Semmelweis medical museum & then UP into Castle Hill through the excavated ruins of the old medieval palace near the south end of Castle HIll. Start early in the day and keep in mind closing times of stores, & whether you are there on Sat/Sunday. Also, if you are to visit museums, check which are closed on Mondays.

Chicago, Illinois
6. Re: Top 5 things to see in Budapest

I agree...for a three day visit it probably isn't worth your time to do the boat....if you do, you should just go one way. There is a bus that goes from the bus station by, I believe, the Argat Ter metro station. This will still take over half a day to do....

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 7
7. Re: Top 5 things to see in Budapest

We enjoyed an orientation of Budapest with a half day tour. If you are staying at a hotel they can arrange this for you. The tours are not expensive and of all the cities we have been to, I found the tour guides in Budapest the most helpful and interesting. We are close to your age and enjoyed the pickup service from our hotel. The tour was well paced for us and was one of the highlights of our time in Budapest. I'd add a trip to the Central Market Hall as one of my things to do as well as the Citadel (if you take a tour this should be included). You could also enjoy a trip to one of the baths such as the Gellert. Afternoon tea at the Gellert Hotel (and take a look at the Art Noveau stained glass on each landing) is a pleasant respite from touring.

Sydney, Australia
8. Re: Top 5 things to see in Budapest

PS on Szetendre - we took a half day tour there and while I really enjoyed the Marzipan Museum there isnt really much there except tourist souvenir shops. For a 3 day visit I would give Szetendre a miss and spend my time in Budapest itself.

Sydney, Australia
9. Re: Top 5 things to see in Budapest

Sorry for three postings but it is 4.42am in Paris and I should be finishing packing or more correctly sleeping.

We took a one hour tour at night on the Danube from Pier 7 that cost about 4500HF in a glass roof boat. This had a commentary and no meal just a pleasant evening on the Danube. I think it left around 19.30pm and was available each evening. We arrived a little before 19.00pm to board and get good seats. The cruise does a tour as far as Margaret Island then turns around and loops back.

The cruise was recommended by our hotel as one of the best things to do in Budapest and they made the booking for us. We just booked one day before (and I noticed that tickets were also available at the pier on the night).

I will add though, that yes I think a cruise is a good choice. When I arrived as a newcomer to Budapest, the Danube was inviting and unlike how the Danube looks in Vienna, it was how I imagined the Danube should be. Enjoy your trip.

Oxford England
10. Re: Top 5 things to see in Budapest

Thanks everyone for all this useful info - as we only have 3 days we need to plan a bit. Cruise for 1 hr. on the Danube sounds a nice compromise. Didn't know about the Marzipan Museum but as am allergic to marzipan (unfortunately smell makes me physically ill) perhaps it might be an idea to miss that one if there is a lot of marzipan about ??!