We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are international train tickets really that easy to buy?

Which Budapest hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
reviews: 10
Are international train tickets really that easy to buy?

Hello,

I've been trying to book a Budapest - Vienna train for the 24th January (following the instructions here http://europetrainsguide.com/Advice/How-to-Buy-Train-Tickets/Hungary-MAV.html) but when I search for trains on that date, no tickets are shown as being available.

So does this mean that all the tickets are booked out (I doubt this is the case though, right?)? And if I can't pre-book tickets, is it really that easy to buy tickets? From what I've read on the forum, lots of people seem to say that you can just show up to a train station a fews days before and get a ticket easy peasy! Is this really the case/has anyone had success with this recently?

Thanks for your help!

Laura.

2 replies to this topic
Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Food and Travel
reviews: 153
1. Re: Are international train tickets really that easy to buy?

Hello Lmur1425

Yes Easy Pease Lemon Squeezy

Yes it is that easy you can buy it just a few days before your plan to travel or if you can go online and buy a return ticket for basically the same price as a one way when the discounted fares have sold out which will save you the time of having to go to the station and will also get a you a seat reservation thrown in too.

The standard return Trip Ticket Austria (with NO use of public transportation in Vienna) is €29

The return Trip Ticket Austria (WITH the use of public transportation for 2 days in Vienna) is €38 a rather good deal IMHO

Best

SEBESZ

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 10
2. Re: Are international train tickets really that easy to buy?

Amazing! Thanks for your help! I was pretty certain it would all be ok but just wanted to check :)

Reply to: Are international train tickets really that easy to buy?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted