We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Budapest and ?

Which Budapest hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bolton, Uk
reviews: 84
Budapest and ?

I am travelling to Budapest in April next year and we will be spending 4 nights here.

I am looking at twinning the trip with somewhere else but not sure where! It would be a rail trip from Budapest to the new city and we would be staying there for 3 nights before flying back to the UK.

I was thinking maybe Prague or Munich?

Anyone got any suggestions as to what they have done?

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lisbon
reviews: 27
1. Re: Budapest and ?

Never been to Munich but Prague is stunning, although extremely touristy. Vienna is another option.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Food and Travel
reviews: 153
2. Re: Budapest and ?

Hello imogensdad

Vienna is a very good option Prague in April is good too since it will be before the hoards of summer tourists descend upon it Munich and the surrounding areas are good options too.

Perhaps you could share with us what you really like best and would like out of a trip. Is it architecture, history, food, outdoor scenery, museums etc. etc.?

This way we can give you some suggestions that will be tailored more to your wants and likes rather than just our own personal likes.

Best

SEBESZ

Bolton, Uk
3. Re: Budapest and ?

Thanks for the replies.

I have been to Prague on a couple of occasions and really liked it.

I was thinking of somewhere that has good food and beer and decent things to do in the daytime. We are not really into museums/galleries unless its something special such as Louvre etc but love architecture.

I am also a keen photographer.

Quite lively at night time will be good too.

Still quite vague I know! I was thinking of Vienna as its not too far by train but not really done any research into Vienna yet. I dont like really expensive cities!!! I like to enjoy myself wherever we go!

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Food and Travel
reviews: 153
4. Re: Budapest and ?

Hi again imogensdad

Well then yes I would look into Vienna or Munich with Munich edging out.

Wonderful food and beer (one of the great beer capitals of the world) with some great sights to see and awesome photo opportunities. Salzburg is an easily doable day trip as is Neuschwanstein castle, Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Berchtesgaden, Chiemsee, Innsbruck just to name a few all offering fantastic sights.

Since you liked Prague another option would be to visit some other towns in the Czech Republic there is so much more to the country than just Prague.

Brno is one such town. We visited a few years ago thanks to some suggestions here on the forum (ty GCEK) and glad we did we found it to be a really nice and enjoyable town. Some fabulous architecture, lovely people, good food & drink and very affordable. Or even use Brno as a base for some day trips out from there to some of the smaller lesser known towns in the region.

Just my opinion am sure others will chime in to offer you some other insights

Best

SEBESZ

Bath, UK
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
reviews: 36
5. Re: Budapest and ?

The Kunsthistorisce in Vienna is one of the world's great art galleries, and there are plenty of others: for example the Belvedere has Klimt's The Kiss amongst other gems.

luton
reviews: 174
6. Re: Budapest and ?

imogensdad

I have toyed with the idea of Vienna but also have heard that financial ruin is possible in the city

have you thought of Eger or even serbia?

we went to koveskal near balaton a few years back and were underwhelmed with the peace and tranquility

cheers tony

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Pecs, Budapest
reviews: 6
7. Re: Budapest and ?

Here's another thought.

If Vienna takes your fancy, one way might be to stay in Sopron and 'commute' to Vienna by train. (1 hr 20 min instead of 3 hrs). Accommodation in Sopron will be FAR cheaper than Vienna.

Bolton, Uk
8. Re: Budapest and ?

Is Sopron en route from Budapest then?

I have booked flights now in and out of Budapest so don't want a massive trip on the last day.

Are there other good cities in Hungary worth visiting for a couple of nights??

Bolton, Uk
9. Re: Budapest and ?

Any thoughts on Bratislava????

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Pecs, Budapest
reviews: 6
10. Re: Budapest and ?

I's also suggest Pecs, but not for three nights. And it would be a 3 hr train journey back to Budapest.